The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rbk Zig - Matte Black vs Patent Leather (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99919-rbk-zig-matte-black-vs-patent-leather.html)

Luis Fri Jun 26, 2015 05:05am

Rbk Zig - Matte Black vs Patent Leather

I bought both pairs in my size and I have not ran them on any of my games yet. I'm taking one pair and will give the other pair to my fellow ref who's the same size.

So, questions will be:
1. I heard some people say MB lasts longer than PL - PL breaks out easier...
2. Which one is more comfy?
3. Tried both on and I couldn't feel the width difference although a few refs said that MB runs even narrower than PL?

Thanks guys.

BQ Referee Tue Jun 30, 2015 04:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis (Post 964192)
I bought both pairs in my size and I have not ran them on any of my games yet. I'm taking one pair and will give the other pair to my fellow ref who's the same size.

So, questions will be:
1. I heard some people say MB lasts longer than PL - PL breaks out easier...
2. Which one is more comfy?
3. Tried both on and I couldn't feel the width difference although a few refs said that MB runs even narrower than PL?

Thanks guys.

I have had both pairs - bought the PL first, then the MB twelve months later. To be honest, I can't notice the difference and I'm happy with both of them.

Yes, they run slightly narrower than normal, however the energy you get back from the soles more than makes up for it.

Hope that this helps

Luis Tue Jun 30, 2015 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BQ Referee (Post 964342)
I have had both pairs - bought the PL first, then the MB twelve months later. To be honest, I can't notice the difference and I'm happy with both of them.

Yes, they run slightly narrower than normal, however the energy you get back from the soles more than makes up for it.

Hope that this helps

BQ, thanks man. Did you notice that PL broke easier than MB? I've heard from a few folks that they thought MB lasts significantly longer than PL.

BatteryPowered Tue Jun 30, 2015 09:42am

I have a pair of both and can notice no difference in the two. Based on my recent experience, my sub-varsity partners almost always wear a matte shoe and my varsity partners almost always wear patent (or VERY glossy polished shoes). I keep both in my bag so I can match what they are wearing.

Personally, I like the look of patent better.

Kansas Ref Tue Jun 30, 2015 01:21pm

I always thought that patent leather look was just a bit too, shall we say, ostentatious; prefer the subdued tone with moderate gloss.

crosscountry55 Wed Jul 01, 2015 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 964363)
I always thought that patent leather look was just a bit too, shall we say, ostentatious; prefer the subdued tone with moderate gloss.

Indeed, wasn't it just 2-3 years ago that PL was all the rage? Now, suddenly, I go to camp and evaluators start to chuckle. Politely, of course, but the grace period for officiating fashion faux pas is very short.* By this time next year I'll be getting downgraded for them.

So....I'm due for a new pair later this summer. I'm going to buy the MB.

* Does not apply to leather belts in Connecticut.

Camron Rust Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 964394)
Indeed, wasn't it just 2-3 years ago that PL was all the rage? Now, suddenly, I go to camp and evaluators start to chuckle. Politely, of course, but the grace period for officiating fashion faux pas is very short.* By this time next year I'll be getting downgraded for them.

So....I'm due for a new pair later this summer. I'm going to buy the MB.

* Does not apply to leather belts in Connecticut.

Were you wearing them with shorts?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:04pm

Can the BM be made to look like they are spit shined like my shoes in OCS?

MTD, Sr.

BktBallRef Fri Jul 03, 2015 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis (Post 964351)
Did you notice that PL broke easier than MB?

What is "broke?"

I have two pair of patent leather. Neither is "broke."

grunewar Fri Jul 03, 2015 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 964437)
What is "broke?"

Concur. I've had three pair and never had an issue. :confused:

Bad Zebra Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 964437)
What is "broke?"

I'm guessing he means "broken in".

Rich Mon Jul 06, 2015 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 964397)

Huh?

I wear mine to camps and to summer games in shorts all the time. When I wear shorts, I'm not trying to look fashionable.

I'm an evaluator at 3-4 camps this summer. I spend 0% of the time looking at someone's shoes when someone's wearing shorts.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 06, 2015 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 964394)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 964397)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 964548)
Huh?

I wear mine to camps and to summer games in shorts all the time. When I wear shorts, I'm not trying to look fashionable.

I'm an evaluator at 3-4 camps this summer. I spend 0% of the time looking at someone's shoes when someone's wearing shorts.

I think patent leather with shorts in the summer looks just silly. Not silly enough to downgrade someone or even mention it. But likely what the evaluators were laughing about.

It is sort of like wearing a bow tie with a T-shirt.....or dress shoes and dress socks with board shorts.

Rich Mon Jul 06, 2015 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 964551)
I think patent leather with shorts in the summer looks just silly. Not silly enough to downgrade someone or even mention it. But likely what the evaluators were laughing about.

It is sort of like wearing a bow tie with a T-shirt.....or dress shoes and dress socks with board shorts.

Evaluators who are being paid by those officials (through camp fees) shouldn't be laughing at those officials. Speaks to their character more than anything.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:39pm

I guess I will ask again. Can the black matte shoes be given a high gloss shine like a spit shine.?

MTD, Sr.