The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The women's proposed changes are out, too (10 minute quarters, 2 FTs after 5 fouls per quarter, advance ball to half court after TO, 10-second backcourt does not reset).
Very FIBA like.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
I had a post a couple of years ago about college basketball changes. Here are a couple more.

1) Three team fouls to the bonus in overtime. There is no reason team fouls in the second half should carry into overtime.

2) Two fouls to the bonus in the last two minutes in the half. It is hard to watch having a team commit five take fouls with thirty seconds left to get to the bonus.

3) Absolutely no need to have ten seconds to shoot a free throw. The only basketball person I ever saw ever bring this up is David Stern.

4) No ten seconds to congratulate the free throw shooter after he makes a free throw.

5) No reset of the back court count if a team calls a timeout.

6) Fouls with under :14 on the shot clock should be reset to :14 on the clock.

#1. Sure there is....it is just an extension of the 4th quarter. Teams should carry with them the accumulation of the foul count unti lthe game ends.

#2. Unnecessary. It is very rare that a team has just 2-3 fouls that late in the half.

#3. Doesn't matter. No need to create violations here for no good reason.

#4. Already a rule, just not strictly enforced.

#5. Doesn't really fix a problem. If a team wants to spend a timeout to get more time, why not.

#6. Why? Doesn't fix a problem. Why should the offense be left with less time to setup and run a play when the defense fouled to prevent the prior attempt.

Keep it simple. The game doesn't need more exception rules like mos these you suggest. While individually not that complicated, why make the rules more convoluted?
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 08:42pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If they are getting rid of the request from a coach, that is a great thing.

Peace
Do tell..why is this an issue? Players would be only ones allowed to call a TO during a live ball?
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 09:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not understand what the big deal is about coaches calling timeouts. It doesn't add any time to the game.
I am not against it because of time. I am against it because it gives a false expectation that we are paying attention to them. Coaches often yell at the wrong official anyway.

Peace
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not understand what the big deal is about coaches calling timeouts. It doesn't add any time to the game.
Here's the problem: A1, A2, B1 and B2 are scrambling for the ball on the floor. You're paying attention to the players to make sure no one kills anyone and one of the HCs - either seeing their player get two hands on the ball or anticipating one of their players will get two hands on the ball - starts requesting a timeout. You're watching all those players on the floor and now you have to process:

1. Did the team have control when the request was made
2. Was the person who made the request actually the HC

All the while you don't want to take your eyes off the players. It happens to all of us and, generally, we all hate it when it does.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#1. Sure there is....it is just an extension of the 4th quarter. Teams should carry with them the accumulation of the foul count unti lthe game ends.

#2. Unnecessary. It is very rare that a team has just 2-3 fouls that late in the half.

#3. Doesn't matter. No need to create violations here for no good reason.

#4. Already a rule, just not strictly enforced.

#5. Doesn't really fix a problem. If a team wants to spend a timeout to get more time, why not.

#6. Why? Doesn't fix a problem. Why should the offense be left with less time to setup and run a play when the defense fouled to prevent the prior attempt.

Keep it simple. The game doesn't need more exception rules like mos these you suggest. While individually not that complicated, why make the rules more convoluted?
Camron,

I get the impression he could have proposed eliminating spousal abuse and you would have shot it down
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Camron,

I get the impression he could have proposed eliminating spousal abuse and you would have shot it down
Nah, I'd go for that one.

Sometimes, people just want to change things to change things without having any good reason to do so.