The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

New Men's National Coordinator

Congratulations to JD Collins who was named new men's basketball coordinator of officials.

J.D. Collins named NCAA National Coordinator of Officiating
NCAA.com
Last Updated - May 5, 2015 10:30 EDT
Contact | Archive | RSS

INDIANAPOLIS --- J.D. Collins, who has nearly a quarter-century’s worth of experience with college basketball officiating, has been named the NCAA’s national coordinator of men’s basketball officiating, effective immediately. Collins replaces John Adams, who announced in July his retiringment from the position he has held since 2008.

Collins now serves as coordinator of officials for the Mid-American Conference and Summit League. He also has served as a consultant to the Big Ten Conference men’s basketball officiating program, as well as commissioner of the NAIA’s Crossroads League. Collins will step down from those duties before the end of the month to provide national leadership for officials, as well as regional advisers, conference coordinators and coaches, to increase consistency with the enforcement of NCAA playing rules.

“I am humbled and honored to be selected to fill this position,” said Collins, who is a 1992 graduate of Indiana Wesleyan University. “Throughout my career I have had the privilege of working with and being trained by some of the best officials, coordinators and leaders in the sport. That experience has prepared me for this exciting opportunity.

“All of the stakeholders in our game are aware of the need for consistency with the application of the game’s rules and for greater accountability from officials. We’ll accomplish this by using the most advanced technology available to us while focusing on the basic mechanics that give officials the best opportunity to be in the right position to make the right calls as frequently as possible.”

Collins’ career in Division I officiating spanned two decades and includes assignments to a pair of Final Fours, one regional final and five regional semifinal games. Before suffering a career-ending injury, Collins worked games in seven different conferences: Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Horizon, Missouri Valley, Mid-American and Summit.

“J.D. emerged from a national search of strong candidates as the best choice, given the combination of his officiating and coordinator experience, a vision for a national program, and diverse skill sets,” said NCAA Vice President for Men’s Basketball Dan Gavitt. “He will lead change in officiating during this dynamic time of both challenge and opportunity in college basketball and intercollegiate athletics.”

Gavitt worked with a 10-member search committee to identify the national coordinator. That committee consisted of Mitch Barnhart, the director of athletics at the University of Kentucky; Mark Hollis, the director of athletics at Michigan State University; Craig Littlepage, the director of athletics at the University of Virginia; Judy MacLeod, the executive associate commissioner of Conference USA; Bernadette McGlade, the commissioner of the Atlantic 10 Conference; Reggie Minton; the deputy executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches; Hank Nichols, a former NCAA national coordinator for men’s basketball officiating and a member of the Naismith Hall of Fame; John Underwood, the associate commissioner of the Big 12 Conference; Gary Williams, a former Division I head coach and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame member; and Jamie Zaninovich, the deputy commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 10:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Saw that coming.

Peace
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

The "trickle down effect" that this new appointment will have is:
1. probably more effort put into "standardizing" specifically what instructors teach at summer ref training camps--as there is obvious variance in what goes on from one camp to another--w
2. likely an increased pay rate for refs
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 10:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
1. probably more effort put into "standardizing" specifically what instructors teach at summer ref training camps--as there is obvious variance in what goes on from one camp to another--w
I don't see how he will affect either one.
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do you think this? I would be very surprised if there is much change to either of these, and if there is I strongly doubt it is due to influence from the national coordinator.

The national coordinator can't dictate what is taught in summer camps and has no ability to affect conference pay scales.

This isn't a newly created position.
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 07:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Why do you think this? I would be very surprised if there is much change to either of these, and if there is I strongly doubt it is due to influence from the national coordinator.

The national coordinator can't dictate what is taught in summer camps and has no ability to affect conference pay scales.

This isn't a newly created position.
The only thing they can do is influence the mechanics used. And I am sure they have the ear people in conferences about what pay could be, but they are only a voice. The conferences are going to do what they want to do if they feel it is feasible or beneficial. An JD is from the Midwest, so he might be able to have more of an ear in places like the Big Ten, MAC or MVC for example, but that is about it IMO.

Peace
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 07:15pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Saw that coming.

Peace
I was surprised..Thought Joe D was going to get it. Any thoughts why JD beat him out??
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 07:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
I was surprised..Thought Joe D was going to get it. Any thoughts why JD beat him out??
I could not even tell you other than he had a very close relationship and worked with the Big Ten. I also think Adams liked JD a lot and that probably did not hurt his chances. But he is from Indiana already and probably knew many of the decision makers and like any job, that cannot hurt you. But the rest is speculation.

Peace
Old Thu May 07, 2015, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm with Jeff. On the NCAAW side they've made more of a concerted effort to make sure the mechanics are standard but that was happening even before June Courteau took over for Debbie Williamson. I would say our S-RE has more of an effect on how we call games, especially at camps.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu May 07, 2015 at 05:56am.