The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Orleans Pelicans vs GSW Game 2 Block/Charge (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99691-new-orleans-pelicans-vs-gsw-game-2-block-charge-video.html)

jeremy341a Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26pm

New Orleans Pelicans vs GSW Game 2 Block/Charge (Video)

Approx 3:10 remaining in the 3rd.

Thank you.

Jay R Tue Apr 21, 2015 08:56am

Looked like a good call to me. Defender was there. The announcer's comment was that the defender was still moving. Since Davis wasn't airborne, he can be moving as long as he gets to the spot first.

APG Tue Apr 21, 2015 01:59pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bkHMzaSN6U

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4bkHMzaSN6U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Tue Apr 21, 2015 02:17pm

Block...never got into the path and was moving towards the opponent at the time of contact.

MD Longhorn Tue Apr 21, 2015 02:38pm

I have a block too - he never stops moving left and into the dribbler. I see no LGP here ever.

BryanV21 Tue Apr 21, 2015 03:58pm

Throw in another vote for "block"

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 21, 2015 07:47pm

H&R couldn't be a move obvious block. ;)

Rich1 Tue Apr 21, 2015 07:51pm

Get the first foul

I know its the NBA so this logic probably doesn't apply but if the ref had called the foul by Wht 9 as Blk 1 was dribbling into the lane then the block/charge debate would be nonexistant. Call it a hand check or a hold but the contact by #9 causes the loose ball that put the offensive team at a disadvantage by limiting the dribblers movements, preventing him from taking his path to the goal, and almost resulted in a turn over.

This is why we should always get the first foul. It will not only help control the game but in many cases, just like this one, the offense is unfairly punished when they get called for the foul that follows.

Raymond Tue Apr 21, 2015 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 961144)
I know its the NBA so this logic probably doesn't apply but if the ref had called the foul by Wht 9 as Blk 1 was dribbling into the lane then the block/charge debate would be nonexistant. Call it a hand check or a hold but the contact by #9 causes the loose ball that put the offensive team at a disadvantage by limiting the dribblers movements, preventing him from taking his path to the goal, and almost resulted in a turn over.

This is why we should always get the first foul. It will not only help control the game but in many cases, just like this one, the offense is unfairly punished when they get called for the foul that follows.

Yes, I think a late whistle once he lost the ball wouldn't have been a bad call.

AremRed Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:18am

Charge from the slot's angle, block from the overhead view. Just goes to show you how poor of a view C/slot has of block/charge plays like this.

Like this play for example. Pretty clear block shown on the video screen but Breeding couldn't see the lateral movement from C. Now whether DeRosa actually had a whistle initially or made something up is another story...

MechanicGuy Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 961154)
Charge from the slot's angle, block from the overhead view. Just goes to show you how poor of a view C/slot has of block/charge plays like this.

Like this play for example. Pretty clear block shown on the video screen but Breeding couldn't see the lateral movement from C. Now whether DeRosa actually had a whistle initially or made something up is another story...

There's a lot weird going on on that play. Breeding has no fist in the air and seemed really hesitant to make any call.

APG Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 961155)
There's a lot weird going on on that play. Breeding has no fist in the air and seemed really hesitant to make any call.

He was hesistant cause he heard DeRosa's (trail) whistle...and wanted to avoid a blarge....but DeRosa had a hit by the backside defender before his "charge"...which is fortunate. The play was absolutely a block.

jeremy341a Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 961154)

This is why I thought it was interesting. Watching it live I didn't think much about it but when shown from the overhead the view was much different.

AremRed Wed Apr 22, 2015 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 961159)
He was hesistant cause he heard DeRosa's (trail) whistle...and wanted to avoid a blarge....but DeRosa had a hit by the backside defender before his "charge"...which is fortunate. The play was absolutely a block.

If you watch the video Breeding says he did not hear DeRosa's whistle. And DeRosa didn't have a fist or any body language signaling he had a foul.

APG Wed Apr 22, 2015 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 961162)
If you watch the video Breeding says he did not hear DeRosa's whistle. And DeRosa didn't have a fist or any body language signaling he had a foul.

DeRosa does go up with a fist...you then can see the slot official looking at DeRosa...hence the hesitation.