The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Both should have been blocks. And I am talking about which official had the best look at the contact based on being able to see between the 2 players and judging the defense's movement prior to contact. In both cases the Trail has the best angle on the play, while the Leads is stacked.
I disagree on this play...I think the lead has just as good a look on the play as the trail would...but with the added benefit of being able to pick up the secondary defender a lot earlier than the trail...plus the trail still has the primary defender to worry about on this play.

As to the actual call on the play...correct call is a block...so the trail had the correct call. But mechanically speaking, this is the lead's call all the way and he should have the primary whistle and signal on the play. Even if the trail wants to put a whistle on the play, HE has to be the one to withhold a preliminary.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What did the defender do wrong?
In my opinion the Portland defender is moving towards the offensive player at the time of the contact.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 11:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I disagree on this play...I think the lead has just as good a look on the play as the trail would...but with the added benefit of being able to pick up the secondary defender a lot earlier than the trail...plus the trail still has the primary defender to worry about on this play.

As to the actual call on the play...correct call is a block...so the trail had the correct call. But mechanically speaking, this is the lead's call all the way and he should have the primary whistle and signal on the play. Even if the trail wants to put a whistle on the play, HE has to be the one to withhold a preliminary.
I disagree with your disagreement.

Because of how high this contact occurs, in addition to not being entirely in the paint, I feel the Trail has the best look. Even though it is a secondary defender, his angle allows him to see the secondary defenders movements in regards to legality. Since B2 never got into A1's path, it was as much as a push with the shoulder as it was a block.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Apr 12, 2015 at 11:21pm.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I disagree with your disagreement.

Because of how high this contact occurs, in addition to not being entirely in the paint, I feel the Trail has the best look. Even though it is a secondary defender, his angle allows him to see the secondary defenders movements in regards to legality.
I think that the Trail has the better look on this particular play because the defender is moving from his right to his left. This is taking him away from the Lead. It seems that this movement is hard to observe from the Lead's position as the movement is parallel to his line of vision. That makes it difficult to tell how much the player was still in motion when the contact occurred.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In my opinion the Portland defender is moving towards the offensive player at the time of the contact.
I thought the same thing.