The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 10:17pm
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Both should have been blocks. And I am talking about which official had the best look at the contact based on being able to see between the 2 players and judging the defense's movement prior to contact. In both cases the Trail has the best angle on the play, while the Leads is stacked.
I disagree on this play...I think the lead has just as good a look on the play as the trail would...but with the added benefit of being able to pick up the secondary defender a lot earlier than the trail...plus the trail still has the primary defender to worry about on this play.

As to the actual call on the play...correct call is a block...so the trail had the correct call. But mechanically speaking, this is the lead's call all the way and he should have the primary whistle and signal on the play. Even if the trail wants to put a whistle on the play, HE has to be the one to withhold a preliminary.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What did the defender do wrong?
In my opinion the Portland defender is moving towards the offensive player at the time of the contact.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 11:16pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I disagree on this play...I think the lead has just as good a look on the play as the trail would...but with the added benefit of being able to pick up the secondary defender a lot earlier than the trail...plus the trail still has the primary defender to worry about on this play.

As to the actual call on the play...correct call is a block...so the trail had the correct call. But mechanically speaking, this is the lead's call all the way and he should have the primary whistle and signal on the play. Even if the trail wants to put a whistle on the play, HE has to be the one to withhold a preliminary.
I disagree with your disagreement.

Because of how high this contact occurs, in addition to not being entirely in the paint, I feel the Trail has the best look. Even though it is a secondary defender, his angle allows him to see the secondary defenders movements in regards to legality. Since B2 never got into A1's path, it was as much as a push with the shoulder as it was a block.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Apr 12, 2015 at 11:21pm.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I disagree with your disagreement.

Because of how high this contact occurs, in addition to not being entirely in the paint, I feel the Trail has the best look. Even though it is a secondary defender, his angle allows him to see the secondary defenders movements in regards to legality.
I think that the Trail has the better look on this particular play because the defender is moving from his right to his left. This is taking him away from the Lead. It seems that this movement is hard to observe from the Lead's position as the movement is parallel to his line of vision. That makes it difficult to tell how much the player was still in motion when the contact occurred.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 09:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In my opinion the Portland defender is moving towards the offensive player at the time of the contact.
I thought the same thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida State/Nebraska blarge (Video) bballref3966 Basketball 28 Thu Dec 04, 2014 04:22pm
NC State/Clemson (W)...near blarge (video) JetMetFan Basketball 14 Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:43am
Another blarge - Missouri State at Creighton zm1283 Basketball 33 Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:50am
K-State/West Virgina Almost Blarge MOofficial Basketball 36 Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50am
Lakers/Golden state dhodges007 Basketball 3 Tue Feb 24, 2004 04:34pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1