The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul Signal Sequence (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99620-technical-foul-signal-sequence.html)

jpgc99 Tue Mar 31, 2015 07:43pm

Technical Foul Signal Sequence

What is your mechanics sequence/cadence when calling a technical foul?

By definition, this is a foul so the clock should be stopped with the fist. However, I don't think I have ever stopped the clock with my hand up with the fist for a T during a live ball.

I think I usually go straight to the T, or sometimes go up with an open hand before making the T signal.

What is your signal sequence? Does it vary for live ball vs dead ball TF?

ODog Tue Mar 31, 2015 08:03pm

Like you, I've never seen/used the fist. Not saying what I do is right/wrong, just providing it below for the sake of a discussion I am also interested in:

Raised open hand, T signal, point to the offender, inform my partner(s) what's happening, report.

Mechanicsman Tue Mar 31, 2015 08:36pm

The only time I have ever used a fist was when I had to look to make sure the ball was not yet at the disposal after a made bucket before signaling T. I suppose I go straight to the T during dead ball and stop the clock with an open hand live ball. Never thought about it really.

bainsey Tue Mar 31, 2015 09:07pm

Tweet, fist up, T.

If it's administrative, I'm already at the table, so I report, tell opposing coach to choose his shooter, and communicate with my partner. If it's on a player, the sequence can vary. I speak with my partner first, then report. (I don't do bird dogs.)

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 31, 2015 09:09pm

Is there a different sequence when a player calls a technical on an official?

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-cont...t-his-Face.png

AremRed Wed Apr 01, 2015 09:16am

Multiple whistles with open hand, stop whistling and give T signal.

Raymond Wed Apr 01, 2015 09:32am

One whistle, no fist, left palm to right index finger. I report quickly, tell my partners what is going to happen next, and keep the game moving.

HokiePaul Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:05am

If the clock is running, I would go with a open hand "stop clock" signal and whistle, followed by the "T" signal and verbalize "Technical foul". If the clock has already been stopped, then there is no need for a stop clock signal and I would go right to the "T" signal and whistle.

That said, I'm sure there have been times where I went right to the whistle and "T" signal with a running clock. I've never gone with a fist first ... and haven't ever seen that in my area.

Rich Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:40am

I'm just waiting for the "I haven't called a technical in umpety-teen years" crowd to say they don't know cause they don't call them.

jpgc99 Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 959899)
I'm just waiting for the "I haven't called a technical in umpety-teen years" crowd to say they don't know cause they don't call them.

Yeah, I posed the question because - as mentioned - I never go up with the fist. I'll either go up with the open hand or go straight to the T, and it really just depends on the situation. Most of the time the person being penalized is looking at me. If this is the case, I go straight to the T signal. If they are not looking, I'll generally blow the whistle with an open hand before giving the T signal. I want them to see the signal before I take it to the scorer's table.

I was waiting for the mechanics fanatics to say that the appropriate stop clock for foul signal was the fist. I'm pleasantly surprised that we haven't seen that yet.

constable Fri Apr 03, 2015 07:01pm

If the clock is running, I put a fist up.

If the clock is stopped I usually go straight to the T signal.

OKREF Fri Apr 03, 2015 08:10pm

I've never used a fist or an open palm. Straight to T signal

Rich Fri Apr 03, 2015 08:24pm

Middle finger, palm.

Just kidding.

Drizzle Sat Apr 04, 2015 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 959893)
If the clock is running, I would go with a open hand "stop clock" signal and whistle, followed by the "T" signal and verbalize "Technical foul". If the clock has already been stopped, then there is no need for a stop clock signal and I would go right to the "T" signal and whistle.

That said, I'm sure there have been times where I went right to the whistle and "T" signal with a running clock. I've never gone with a fist first ... and haven't ever seen that in my area.

This is exactly what I do.

Adam Sat Apr 04, 2015 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 960092)
If the clock is running, I put a fist up.

If the clock is stopped I usually go straight to the T signal.

This is how I do it. For me, a foul is a fist, but I don't think anyone cares or even notices your initial arm movements. They just see the T.