Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 05:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Fence Sitting Allowed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'd call that a foul every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Using the ball as you own personal mechanism to displace an opponent may not be specifically spelled out in the rule book for some folks on here but here is a spot where common sense should kick in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
... consistently been called a foul before he probably wouldn't be doing it now and at this level. That would tend to imply that there are a lot of officials who do not see it as a foul.
For most (maybe not all) of us, it's not a matter of calling, or not calling a foul, it's a matter of calling a personal foul (player control foul), or a technical foul? There are differences in the penalty for each type that makes this matter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 05:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Interpretation For A Technical Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only way I would call something it would have to be a technical for using the ball in an unsporting fashion.
Sounds good, but so does the personal foul option. JRutledge's technical foul is probably more rule based, and would certainly be easier to explain to a coach, athletic director, or an assigner, since it's right there in the rulebook in black, and white.

Edit: Or is it? See below:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 05:44pm.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 05:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Personal Foul May Be The Way To Go ...

4-19-1: A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with
an opponent while the ball is live ...

4-19-5: A technical foul is:
b. A noncontact foul by a player.
c. An intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead ...

4-19-14: An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists
of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

Is "ball to opponent" interpreted as contact? I would think so.

Unsporting? Probably not because it must be noncontact.

Technical? Probably not because it must be noncontact, and if deemed flagrant, or intentional, the ball must be dead.

It probably comes down to how one defines contact. Must it be player to player contact, or can it be ball to player contact?

Based on how one defines contact determines whether one should charge a personal foul, or a technical foul.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 05:47pm.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
4-19-1: A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with
an opponent while the ball is live ...

4-19-5: A technical foul is:
b. A noncontact foul by a player.
c. An intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead ...

4-19-14: An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists
of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

Technical? Probably not because it must be noncontact, and if deemed flagrant, or intentional, the ball must be dead.

It probably comes down to how one defines contact. Must it be player to player contact, or can it be ball to player contact?

Based on how one defines contact determines whether one should charge a personal foul, or a technical foul.
The ball to person contact question is easy to answer Billy.
What type of foul would you charge if a player deliberately threw the ball into his opponent's chest?
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contact ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The ball to person contact question is easy to answer Billy. What type of foul would you charge if a player deliberately threw the ball into his opponent's chest?
Live ball? Sounds unsporting to me, but I don't think that it's as easy as you make it sound (see definitions above).

Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Live ball: throwing the ball into an opponent is what, Billy? Personal foul or technical foul.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I need more than you saying this on this board. I need an official ruling and mostly from my state people. This has never been addressed directly.

Quote:
As said before, what would you call otherwise if someone through a ball or hit an opponent with the ball? I know I am calling a T.

Quote:
I guess we have to call fouls for a blocked shot if you knock a player down if they only touched the basketball. After all, why treat contact with the ball any different? If it is all the same, then your logic we cannot differentiate unless we are making up our own standards of when the rules are applied right?

Quote:

Well without some interpretations, I think you are making a leap. If the NF says that is a foul, that is one thing. But you or I saying it is is a totally different thing. And it would be hard if no one else is seeing the rule application that way and has no way to back it up other than personal feelings. We get on people on this site for not following the rules, but your position is not following the rules. IF someone said, "I am not calling that" why is your position any better if there is no specific rules support.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Woman's Prerogative ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Live ball: throwing the ball into an opponent is what, Billy? Personal foul or technical foul.
It seems unsporting, but I'm leaning toward personal.

Wait. I've changed my mind.

Wait again.

Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lover's Leap ...

Quote:
Well without some interpretations, I think you are making a leap.
I haven't made the leap yet. I'm asking questions, and giving some possible answers.

Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I haven't made the leap yet. I'm asking questions, and giving some possible answers.
I cannot make that leap at all based on an internet discussion board conversation. I need some support on this one. And since there is no rules saying you are right, I have to do nothing in a situation I have never seen personally.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is That Your Final Answer (Regis Philbin) ...

Final answer: Technical foul, as long as everyone considers the situation to be a noncontact situation. It's noncontact, but it's still gonna hurt.

Am I right?

If not, can I try again?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 07:12pm.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Am I Coming, Or Going ???

Quote:
... no rules saying you are right ...
Right? I've been hedging on this throughout the entire thread.

One thing that you are 100% right about JRutledge: I too would love to get a NFHS interpretation on this situation.

Note: Right now I'm leaning toward unsporting technical foul, but I may change my mind again after I sleep on it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 07:25pm.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Right? I've been hedging on this throughout the entire thread.

One thing that you are 100% right about JRutledge: I too would love to get a NFHS interpretation on this situation.

Note: Right now I'm leaning toward unsporting technical foul, but I may change my mind again after I sleep on it.
I would not call a T unless it was forceful contact. Just like I would not call a T just because a player throws the ball off another player to save the ball. That is basketball unless it is done purposely to hurt or harm. To me if you are pushed with the ball and cannot make a play on the ball, then so be it for you.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:58pm
We don't rent pigs

10-6-1: A player shall not ....push........by extending arms......

The fact that this player is holding the basketball is not significant. It is a personal foul.

There is no comparison between the OP and a player deliberately throwing the ball at another player.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
10-6-1: A player shall not ....push........by extending arms......

The fact that this player is holding the basketball is not significant. It is a personal foul.

There is no comparison between the OP and a player deliberately throwing the ball at another player.
When you give us a Casebook Play, I might accept that. Otherwise you are using your standard, not the one everyone agrees with that interpretation.

Peace