The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T on Player Directed To Leave Game - Jersey (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99594-t-player-directed-leave-game-jersey.html)

knockitoff Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:28pm

T on Player Directed To Leave Game - Jersey

NFHS...Player A1 is directed to leave game because his jersey continues to become untucked, and he's questioning refs "why make a big deal". Coach is notified A1 needs to be replaced. Before A1's sub reports to table, A1 is T'd for unsporting. Is A1 considered a player or bench personnel?

Raymond Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:31pm

Strictly off the top of my head, A1 is still a player until A6 is beckoned on to the court.

Closest relevant case play I have as of now is 4.34.3.

AremRed Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:59pm

BNR is right, a player becomes bench personnel when the substitute is beckoned.

knockitoff Wed Mar 25, 2015 03:16pm

For typical substitution, I agree, the player becomes bench personnel when the sub is beckoned. However 3-3-3 says "...player becomes bench personnel after his sub becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his disqualification." Obviously the untucked jersey doesn't DQ the player for the remainder of the game. But, the replacement procedure for the untucked jersey is exactly the same as if it were a DQ'd player (20 sec).

SC Official Wed Mar 25, 2015 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by knockitoff (Post 959157)
For typical substitution, I agree, the player becomes bench personnel when the sub is beckoned. However 3-3-3 says "...player becomes bench personnel after his sub becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his disqualification." Obviously the untucked jersey doesn't DQ the player for the remainder of the game. But, the replacement procedure for the untucked jersey is exactly the same as if it were a DQ'd player (20 sec).

What makes you think disqualification and a jersey infraction are the same thing? A player isn't DQ'd when (s)he is directed to leave the game because of a jersey issue. The fact that both replacement intervals are 20 seconds doesn't make them the same situation.

crosscountry55 Wed Mar 25, 2015 07:08pm

He didn't think that, he was just making comparisons to highlight where readers might get hung up.

And so we have come to the correct conclusion. He gets 20s, which is basically the protocol for any substitution that was not planned/initiated by the coach themselves. Sometimes the unplanned sub is the result of a DQ, sometimes it's because of a player directed to leave the game, and sometimes it's because of an injury (20s starts after the coach can turn his attention to making the substitution).

Separately, a player becomes bench personnel when his/her sub is beckoned, except in the case of a DQ when it occurs once the head coach is notified.

Adam Wed Mar 25, 2015 07:23pm

I wonder if the committee doesn't intend him to be bench personnel when the coach is informed , but right now the rule doesn't state that.