The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Indiana vs Wichita State Block/Charge (Video)

16:32 second half. Block/charge in the low post. Could someone get the video please? When I was watching it live I said offense and then the official signaled block. Id love to have a discussion as to why it was a block. Only thing I could think of is he had the defensive player stepping toward offensive player
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HozzaWlFO48

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

block. defensive player is jumping forward.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 08:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Also, just for informational purposes, remember that this cannot be an RA play. There are no secondary defenders when a rebounder makes an immediate move to the goal.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

This is the type of play that is often problematic for me:

Defender gets their feet to the spot, so they are entitled to the space vertical above it (from the front of their feet to their butt), but they are still moving their chest from behind the spot their feet got to first into the spot (forward- and normaly upward too) at the time of contact. So you've got a defender with body part moving into space they are entitled to have those parts.

LGP does not require to have the feet, chest and entire body established or set or still.Only two feet down in the path of the defender and facing them. After that so long as the player moves laterally or backwards or within the cylinder they are legal. Bringing your chest up past your butt and not past your feet is movement within the cylinder (ie. space you are allowed to occupy. Defender is legal and occupying space he's allowed. Offenses shoulder getting into the defenses cylinder before the chest does doesn't mean the defender is movign forward. Player with the ball has to expect to be guarded and recognize that where the defender gets their feet that is their legal position. TIme and distance do not apply.

That being said it is diffilcult to call because the defenders feet can land past and wider then the offensive player trying to take space the player already has . . .

As I said problematic. When I watch these on tape I tend to think I should have gone PC but is game i often end up going block unless I'm aware or prepared in the the case of team who does it a lot.

In regards to the OP: The second clip gives me a better vantage and it looks like the defender gets both feet down before the shooter leaves the ground but you don't have their feet in the clip. Can't tell one way or the other from the first angle. Gotta trust the guy on the spot.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!

Last edited by Pantherdreams; Thu Mar 26, 2015 at 02:23pm.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Good call by refereeing the defense.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 03:10pm
In Time Out

I agree Panther. When I first saw it I thought block. But on repeated viewings what exactly is the defender doing wrong? He has position but he sees the offensive player has space so all I see him doing is going forward to close that space to give the offensive player less room to work with. I see the offensive player making the contact. I can't bring myself to call a PC here though but I would have gone with a no-call. Just two guys playing hard and banging for position.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Blatant Charge!
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Block for moving forward at the time of contact. Having the right of vertically allows the defender to move "vertically" not forward.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 05:32pm
In Time Out

flippty flop. I'll go back to a block call. But it is a tough one. I think the defender is just closing down the space, but maybe the offensive player started his move right before. very close.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 05:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Block.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 10:40pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Blatant Charge!
Uh....you serious?
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I think the defender is just closing down the space, but maybe the offensive player started his move right before. very close.
And that means????