The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

#3) I could be talked into a FF1 upon review. Or live with the no-call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

One point 3, the officials went to review and assessed a FF1
Damn it, how am I not in the tournament?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Both plays were very close and hard to argue either way. My initial thought in real time though, was that I'd have had them flipped. The first one looked like a block to me as the defender moved into the airborn shooter. The second one looked like a charge as the defender established LGP.

Good mechanics by the officials in both though, especially on the first play double whistle. I also bet that had the first call been a block, the official would have gone PC on the second. I think the officials recognized both plays as 50/50 calls and was aware enough to avoid doubling up on back to back 50/50 calls.

On the 3rd one, the official obviously saw the play well enough to not penalize the defense. I'm guessing that he saw some of the push off by the offensive player, but didn't realize how severe the contact was at the time.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 03:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Your first response was incorrect and so is your follow-up.
Under NFHS rules a player control foul MUST be a common foul. An intentional personal foul is not a common foul. Therefore, if the try is already released at the time of the intentional foul by the airborne shooter, then the basket would count.
You're right, of course. Per Camron's advice in this thread (post #25) I will be calling the excessive swinging of the elbows first, followed by a technical for excessive dead ball contact.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You're right, of course. Per Camron's advice in this thread (post #25) I will be calling the excessive swinging of the elbows first, followed by a technical for excessive dead ball contact.
Now, I wasn't suggesting that you should do that, just that you could do that.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

In real time my gut reaction was PC for 1 and 2.

Upon review and from multiple angles I could see why people could say block on #1. Depending on whether the 2nd step sideways to narrow his stance you consider him finalizing getting position or adjusting the position he already possesses.

I still think #2 is a PC. Contact happens before dribbler becomes a shooter so has no expectation of time and space and hits defense with feet on the ground.

Didn't see anything in real time for #3 so i could live with no call. Review got it right for #3.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

How would the penalty be enforced had the shot gone in on the play with the FF1? Does it nullify the basket?

When they went with the FF1 after review, did they resume play from the spot of the foul or from where the coach requested the timeout? Not the greatest with rule 11.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 01:53pm
NFHS Official

I think PC on both, however both are really close.