Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Maryland vs. UConn: Joe Vaszily, Eric Brewton, Maj Forsberg

Likely means Dee Kantner will be working the final again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Dee Kantner

Denise Brooks

Mark Zentz
These are my two biggest criticisms of the NCAAW officiating system:
1. If you aren't female, you have a very slim chance of working the top games because the powers that be almost always put a minimum of two females on the crew.
2. It's the same couple of people year after year on the championship game. Seriously, can't they train a few other people or haven't a couple of other people developed to the point that someone doesn't have to be assigned to eight NCAA Finals in a row! Seriously, spread the wealth and give someone else a chance!

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Apr 07, 2015 at 09:43pm.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 04:57am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
These are my two biggest criticisms of the NCAAW officiating system:
1. If you aren't female, you have a very slim chance of working the top games because the powers that be almost always put a minimum of two females on the crew.
2. It's the same couple of people year after year on the championship game. Seriously, can't they train a few other people or haven't a couple of other people developed to the point that someone doesn't have to be assigned to eight NCAA Finals in a row! Seriously, spread the wealth and give someone else a chance!
All the other eligible refs are dudes. There aren't that many women who have been working the 15+ years necessary to work the championship game.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is what stands out to me.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

As far as male representation in NCAA-W, oh well. Playing the gender card are we? Whenever the demographic in power finds itself on the short end of the stick, all of a sudden it some major injustice.

How much better than everybody else would a female have to be in order to get an fair shot on the Men's side? Shoot, how much better do women have to be just to get a few BV games in their local associations?
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 09:01am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As far as male representation in NCAA-W, oh well. Playing the gender card are we? Whenever the demographic in power finds itself on the short end of the stick, all of a sudden it some major injustice.

How much better than everybody else would a female have to be in order to get an fair shot on the Men's side? Shoot, how much better do women have to be just to get a few BV games in their local associations?
All. Of. This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 09:04am
(Something hilarious)

Additionally, the goal is what? To get the best officials on the game. That's what the coaches want. If something were upsetting them in the process and/or what 12 officials get the F4 assignments in any given 5-year stretch, they'd be vocal about it. Must not be unsatisfactory to anyone but...some men working on the women's side. (Of which I happen to be one.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 09:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I can tell you in my association, women are getting their shot at varsity boys' games. Your comments are obviously valid for NCAAM, though discrimination on one side doesn't make it right on the other side.

I do agree, it's hard for me to drum up too much indignation about it, though, given the way things are on the men's side; and I'm rarely short on indignation.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I can tell you in my association, women are getting their shot at varsity boys' games....
Well, you do live in Colorado, a lot of things are different there.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 09:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Well, you do live in Colorado, a lot of things are different there.
I can't argue with that.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 10:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I hire women to work varsity boys games if they want them. To me, they have to be no better than any other male official. They can also be no worse.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

One of the problems with this who is assigned, is female officials often get college opportunities they would never get at the same rate on any other level. There was a female officials that worked the McDonald's All-American game this past year that only had like 3 or 4 years total officiating experience. There is hardly any such equivalent on the Men's side regardless of gender. And when a female officials is snatched up, they are given a full schedule of college. Heck I would rather work for $160 or more on a regular basis too, instead of working for $60 in a similarly packed gym.

It is also very rare that female officials get assigned the boy's side, but heck they hardly do high school anyway if they are moved as fast as they often are moved.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 12:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Look, the NCAA (and other organizations) can do what they want, but how less better can women be and still advance quickly on the women's side? It works both ways, you know...

If the playing field isn't level, then perhaps all women's and girls' games should be left to only female officials....

Me? I'm an assigner and an official. I'll hire any woman that's capable to work. But I won't fast track anyone based on anything other than ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
One of the problems with this who is assigned, is female officials often get college opportunities they would never get at the same rate on any other level. There was a female officials that worked the McDonald's All-American game this past year that only had like 3 or 4 years total officiating experience. There is hardly any such equivalent on the Men's side regardless of gender. And when a female officials is snatched up, they are given a full schedule of college. Heck I would rather work for $160 or more on a regular basis too, instead of working for $60 in a similarly packed gym.

It is also very rare that female officials get assigned the boy's side, but heck they hardly do high school anyway if they are moved as fast as they often are moved.

Peace
Well, here in good ole VA, I have seen at least 3 good female officials get denied boys HS games, while some horrible, and I mean horrible, male officials get top of the line games.

What I do know, is that if the conversation were about blacks not getting certain assignments, the phrase "race card" would have jumped off a couple folks keyboards real quick. What makes complaining about a lack of males getting certain assignments any different than a lack of blacks getting certain assignments?

To me it's playing the "gender card".
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well, here in good on VA, I have seen at least 3 good female officials get denied boys HS games, while some horrible, and I mean horrible male officials get top of the line games.
I work for the schools, but I couldn't imagine anyone complaining that they were sent a female official. I'm just trying to imagine that conversation. Personally, I've scheduled females for some of the toughest male coaches to work for that I have. Doesn't bother me a bit if they don't like it, either -- cause they likely won't officially say anything about it.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, here in good ole VA, I have seen at least 3 good female officials get denied boys HS games, while some horrible, and I mean horrible, male officials get top of the line games.

What I do know, is that if the conversation were about blacks not getting certain assignments, the phrase "race card" would have jumped off a couple folks keyboards real quick. What makes complaining about a lack of males getting certain assignments any different than a lack of blacks getting certain assignments?

To me it's playing the "gender card".
Don't get me wrong, they are denied. But often they know this going in and quickly get over it and move on to the other level if they have the opportunity. They leave the high school level behind very quickly. I never would suggest that they were given an equal opportunity on the boy's side of the isle.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 01:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't get me wrong, they are denied. But often they know this going in and quickly get over it and move on to the other level if they have the opportunity. They leave the high school level behind very quickly. I never would suggest that they were given an equal opportunity on the boy's side of the isle.

Peace
And I don't deny that it happens here, either. I just have no time or place for it. personally.