The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mich. State-Wisconsin Transition Play (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99516-mich-state-wisconsin-transition-play-video.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 15, 2015 03:13pm

Mich. State-Wisconsin Transition Play (Video)

I would like a video of the Block/Charge call at 4:55 of the First Half. Thank you.

The L called a Block on the Wisconsin player and I am still trying to figure out what he saw. It was either a Charge or there was no foul at all.

MTD, Sr.

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 15, 2015 04:06pm

Are you talking about the play in which the MSU player led with the shoulder around the elbow? If so, even the announcers thought the offensive player got away with one there. Similar play on the other end a few minutes later and they called a charge on WI. Bo Ryan was not pleased.

Raymond Sun Mar 15, 2015 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 957884)
Are you talking about the play in which the MSU player led with the shoulder around the elbow? If so, even the announcers thought the offensive player got away with one there. ...

Umm, that would make me think the official got it right.

Adam Sun Mar 15, 2015 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 957889)

Except that announcers think everything is a block.

crosscountry55 Sun Mar 15, 2015 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 957889)

Elbow of the paint. MSU offensive player drives in, leading with the shoulder, and displaces the UW player. Official calls a block on the on UW player.

That's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I disagree with the call based on what I saw. Should have been no call or PC on the MSU player.

APG Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:32pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WZZOqo4I8R0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42pm

This type of block / charge play came up on another thread. At the D1 level, whether you like it or not 90% of the officials are going to call a block if the defender doesn't "take" the charge. You can argue all you want that the rules doesn't state that ( Billy Mac will be outraged) but that is the reality.....

Easy block....offensive player can't come down.

Raymond Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07pm

I see a defensive foul coming down on the arms.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09pm

That's not the play I was thinking of.

Looking at that play, seems like a block or maybe illegal use of hands (extends arms as the defender is backpeddling). Easy defensive foul call IMO.

I wish I had marked the time of the play I was thinking of. Oh well.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:21pm

The torsos didn't even touch. There was at least a foot of space between them at the closest point. It can't be a block if they don't touch. There might have been slight knee to knee contact which could be a block but I have illegal use of hands.

Rich Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 958003)
The torsos didn't even touch. There was at least a foot of space between them at the closest point. It can't be a block if they don't touch. There might have been slight knee to knee contact which could be a block but I have illegal use of hands.

Just give the cheating signal.

The whole notion of giving the "wrong" signal is just silly to me.

AremRed Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:18am

Uh there's nothing with the hands, guys. The defender gets the ball. Maybe not entirely ball but not enough for a foul at that level.

That said I doubt ref was looking there at all, he was busy dealing with the block/charge play. I have an easy block. Regardless of how you feel about the falling before torso contact the defender trips the offensive player with his knees/feet.

Rich Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55am

I thought it was a no call then and I haven't changed my opinion.

griblets Wed Mar 18, 2015 05:24am

No call. White throw in.

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 18, 2015 08:30am

Definitely not a block. Definitely not a PC either.

I've got a patient whistle (I hope!!) and then white out of bounds for a throw-in.