The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Notre Dame (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99500-duke-notre-dame-video.html)

MechanicGuy Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:08pm

Duke/Notre Dame (Video)

Don't know how accepted this is, but when I watch games I keep a mental log of interesting/teachable plays.

Travel/Held ball at 1:50ish of the 1st half.

Double Whistle on a PC/Block call about a minute later.

Possible Travel/Contact foul on Okafor at around 16:45 in the 2nd half.

MechanicGuy Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:33pm

Another Okafor possible travel, possible PC at 5:30 in 2nd Half

bballref3966 Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:37pm

Illegal screen 4:21 second half, and embellishment by Duke player?

MechanicGuy Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:43pm

Offensive foul, off ball, on Grant at about 2:35 in 2nd half

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 14, 2015 08:54am

Poor APG. But God bless him, he's gonna find the videos and post them all. :D

Thanks for what you do, APG. Helps us all get better.

BktBallRef Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 957783)
Poor APG. But God bless him, he's gonna find the videos and post them all. :D

Let's hope not.

Sheesh.

maroonx Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:05am

GREAT GAME!!

And may I add, 27 sec to go in game. Carolina on the line, shooter crosses free throw line before ball hits the rim. Not called. There was a scramble for the miss shot. They had to go to monitor to award ball the VA.

Adam Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 957796)
GREAT GAME!!

And may I add, 27 sec to go in game. Carolina on the line, shooter crosses free throw line before ball hits the rim. Not called. There was a scramble for the miss shot. They had to go to monitor to award ball the VA.

Did they call the violation from the monitor?

AremRed Sat Mar 14, 2015 04:34pm

Quote:

Carolina on the line, shooter crosses free throw line before ball hits the rim. Not called. There was a scramble for the miss shot. They had to go to monitor to award ball the VA.

Uh...

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 14, 2015 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 957797)

Nope. Not allowed to do that since it's just a violation. If they noticed it, they just had to eat it. I'm not sure they even noticed it. The C sure didn't; his eyes went to rebounding action almost immediately.

Raymond Sat Mar 14, 2015 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 957794)
Let's hope not.

Sheesh.

Ditto...let's narrow it down to plays from which we can learn.

grunewar Sat Mar 14, 2015 09:32pm

Quote:

GREAT GAME!!

ND came out smokin the second half!

bob jenkins Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 957797)

The play immediately following was OOB -- and it was the last two minutes so they went to the monitor for that. NC caused the ball to be OOB -- that's why the ball was given to Virginia.

APG Wed Mar 18, 2015 03:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 957753)
Travel/Held ball at 1:50ish of the 1st half.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pHxn0XEjnLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Double Whistle on a PC/Block call about a minute later.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fZ_pfvXC2Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Possible Travel/Contact foul on Okafor at around 16:45 in the 2nd half.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/knge6E5VSpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 957754)
Another Okafor possible travel, possible PC at 5:30 in 2nd Half

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lW4RGdZgmaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 957755)
Illegal screen 4:21 second half, and embellishment by Duke player?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-MtZddl7b74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 957756)
Offensive foul, off ball, on Grant at about 2:35 in 2nd half

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YNykcCh1vxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blindolbat Wed Mar 18, 2015 07:47am

Wow - where do I start?
1. Looks like a travel to me.
2. Charge - seems like the lead would've had best angle but appears he calls a block. Good job on both to hold the signal though.
3. I don't know what I'm looking at, but that's not Okafor
4. Sure looks like a PC to me
5. Seems like that was right in the referee's line of sight. No call.
6. Hmmm, might the Duke player have been holding the ND player first? I could've lived with a no call on this play.

deecee Wed Mar 18, 2015 08:42am

1. travel
2. PC
3. No travel, yes foul
4. flop and No call
5. good screen
6. no call

griblets Wed Mar 18, 2015 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 958034)
4. flop and No call

Here we go again with the flop nonsense. :rolleyes:

If that's not displacement, nothing is.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2015 09:16am

1) barely can see what happened. Definitely nothing to learn from this play

2) what are we debating on this play?

3) ??? I see a POE foul.

4) PC followed by a travel.

5) I think the official guessed on this play based on the embellishment of the player who was screened.

6) I don't think the official sees the whole play and the defender embellishes contact.

deecee Wed Mar 18, 2015 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by griblets (Post 958035)
Here we go again with the flop nonsense. :rolleyes:

If that's not displacement, nothing is.

The angle the offensive player was moving and where the defender was does not explain the level of contact. The defender was also moving back and I don't see that as a PC foul. Contact was minimal its a nocall, and embellishment by the defender.

griblets Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 958038)
The angle the offensive player was moving and where the defender was does not explain the level of contact. The defender was also moving back and I don't see that as a PC foul. Contact was minimal its a nocall, and embellishment by the defender.

This is not minimal contact nor embellishment. The defender's body changes direction while his feet are off the ground when contact occurs. It is not possible to change body direction while airborne without application of an external force. See video around the 0:25 mark for the defender's feet, and then 0:34 for the external force, W15's right shoulder in the sternum of the defender as W15 jumps into the defender.

AremRed Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:43am

Play 1: Can't tell. Probably held ball or nothing.

Play 2: Block at that level.

Play 3: No travel, foul.

Play 4: Offensive foul

Play 5: Nothing

Play 6: Offensive foul

deecee Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:43am

That contact is not a PC, no matter how many times I watch it. The offensive player is moving east/west and the defender is not. The onus of that contact is on the defense. I have a no call. Travel, maybe. In real life I may not see that travel.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:45am

1. Inconclusive. I can't see with high certainty in the video how much, if any, the defender prevented the release. It really needed a view from a different angle to be sure.
2. PC...defender was legal long before contact, shooter when through him
3. Seems like a basic handcheck to me
4. Block, defender moving into the path of an airborne opponent and toward white at the time of contact. Even if it was somewhat backward, the airborne component of the play prevents the defender from moving into his path at that time. It was a travel, but I'm not going with that since the contact may have contributed to the travel. Must go with the foul. No shot since it occurred before the shooter was on the way up for a shot.
5. Fooled the referee....no foul occurred.
6. Holding foul on the defender....which caused the reaction from the offensive player which drew the offensive foul call. No call OK but NOT an offensive foul.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 958053)
... Travel, maybe. In real life I may not see that travel.

Why not? You can't determine his pivot foot?

deecee Wed Mar 18, 2015 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 958060)
Why not? You can't determine his pivot foot?

It's a tough one with the potential contact, the gathering. It's a very quick potential travel, not very black/white that's why.

ballgame99 Wed Mar 18, 2015 01:51pm

1) no way to know without closer angle, but looks like a travel
2) again, bad angle but looks like a block
3) ?? not sure what we are even talking about
4) PC, defender has LGP and moves to maintain it, offensive player goes through his chest. Followed by a travel
5) no call.
6) this is not a good call. its a no call.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2015 02:03pm

I know after seeing plenty of plays this year where players (mainly defenders) are embellishing the amount of contact (or straight up faking being fouled), this off-season I'm going to be working on seeing entire plays before putting whistles on them.

MathReferee Wed Mar 18, 2015 02:05pm

Am I the only one that sees the screen in #5 as illegal for not respecting the time and distance principle?

deecee Wed Mar 18, 2015 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathReferee (Post 958075)
Am I the only one that sees the screen in #5 as illegal for not respecting the time and distance principle?

Huh? this is not an off ball blind side screen.

griblets Wed Mar 18, 2015 03:25pm

Quote:

You are not. I agree that time and distance was not allowed, thus the screen is illegal. I thought it was an excellent call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 958083)
Huh? this is not an off ball blind side screen.

I don't see anything in Rule 4-40 (NFHS) that distinguishes screens between "off ball" and "on ball."

Camron Rust Wed Mar 18, 2015 03:43pm

Quote:

The time and distance required are relative to the speed of the opponent. The opponent was just starting to move (had no speed to be considered). As a result, the time/distance required is very small and I think plenty time/distance was given for the situation. The defender had been heading away from the screen and had just stopped and reversed direction into the screen.

griblets Wed Mar 18, 2015 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 958089)
The time and distance required are relative to the speed of the opponent. The opponent was just starting to move (had no speed to be considered). As a result, the time/distance required is very small and I think plenty time/distance was given for the situation. The defender had been heading away from the screen and had just stopped and reversed direction into the screen.

What about NFHS 4-40-4? "When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact."

The opponent in the video was not allowed one normal step on the blind screen. Therefore, I think the call was correct.

(NCAA guys...clarify if the NCAA rule is same or different?)

Camron Rust Wed Mar 18, 2015 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griblets (Post 958102)
What about NFHS 4-40-4? "When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact."

The opponent in the video was not allowed one normal step on the blind screen. Therefore, I think the call was correct.

(NCAA guys...clarify if the NCAA rule is same or different?)

It wasn't a blind screen from behind. This was a screen from the side. The fact that the defender didn't look to his side to see it coming is his fault (or his teammates), not the fault of the screener.

Outside the visual field is referring to what the player should be able to see with normal head movement, not what they actually do see. They don't get a pass for not looking where they are going.

MechanicGuy Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:29pm

FWIW, I had the wrong time mark on the 3rd play lol. Apologies.