The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball

Start of district play last night boys varsity. A1 and B1 go up for the opening jump. Official, IMO, tosses ball a little higher than should have. Ultimately, both players wiff. Ball hits floor and B1 catches it off the bounce. Non jump official blows violation on B1.

Correct call? Yes, but would a re-jump ever come into consideration on a play like that?

(and p.s. I am A1's coach, so I benefited.)
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Start of district play last night boys varsity. A1 and B1 go up for the opening jump. Official, IMO, tosses ball a little higher than should have. Ultimately, both players wiff. Ball hits floor and B1 catches it off the bounce. Non jump official blows violation on B1.

Correct call? Yes, but would a re-jump ever come into consideration on a play like that?

(and p.s. I am A1's coach, so I benefited.)
Not the correct call. If the ball hits the floor before either jumper touches it, then it's a re-jump by rule.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the jump ball ends when the ball hits the floor.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
I thought the jump ball ends when the ball hits the floor.
4-28-2 . . .The jump ball begins when the ball leaves the official's hand(s) and ends when the touched ball contacts a nonjumper, the floor, a basket or backboard. (italics added)

6-3-6 . . . The tossed ball must be touched by one or both of the jumpers after it reaches its highest point. If the ball contacts the floor without being touched by at least one of the jumpers, the referee shall toss it again. (italics added)
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

My point exactly, how can there be a violation?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ahh...maybe one or all the officials thought the ball hit one or both of the jumpers while on the way down? I know for sure the ball hit the floor, but I guess it would be real easy for the ball to hit a player on the way down?

All I noticed was the bounce....
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

All it had to do was touch one of the jumpers.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ahh...maybe one or all the officials thought the ball hit one or both of the jumpers while on the way down? I know for sure the ball hit the floor, but I guess it would be real easy for the ball to hit a player on the way down?

All I noticed was the bounce....
Assuming one of the jumpers hit the ball, it's not a violation for one of them to grab it after it bounces. Play on, although many would do a rejump even in that case.

In no way is this a violation, though.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches nobody on the way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = Re jump?

So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches A1 on way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = No violation, play ball?
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 02:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches nobody on the way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = Re jump?

So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches A1 on way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = No violation, play ball?
Correct, by rule.

Although a lot of officials will rejump in your second scenario if the official tosses it too high. I wouldn't, but I know quite a few who would.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Correct. For what it's worth, I find it off that the toss would not touch either player on the way down without it being an extremely poor throw (not just too high, but off center, too). Yes it is possible, but hard to imagine.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No More Peach Baskets ...

Flip a damn coin, or give it to the visitors.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Correct. For what it's worth, I find it off that the toss would not touch either player on the way down without it being an extremely poor throw (not just too high, but off center, too). Yes it is possible, but hard to imagine.
Imagine it. I had it happen exactly like that earlier this year. Same thing, i.e. toss was too high and the jumpers just mis-timed it. I was not the R. So I called it back and we had a re-jump. No big deal.