The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ohio State vs Penn State Offensive Foul Thoughts? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99442-ohio-state-vs-penn-state-offensive-foul-thoughts-video.html)

acgod24 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:02am

Ohio State vs Penn State Offensive Foul Thoughts? (Video)

Thoughts on this call???? That's bad at any level

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...004334735.html

deecee Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:22am

I thought the foul was called on red. If it's on white, then I have no idea what the ref saw. Maybe he didn't like JoePa?

Raymond Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:26am

As I posted a few weeks ago, another call where an official allows himself to get fooled by blowing a whistle on the feigned reaction of a player, instead of actually seeing the contact.

acgod24 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48am

The foul was on the white player. Obviously #23 Red pushes the guy on purpose to prevent the breakaway.

JRutledge Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16am

Not only that, I felt it was a flop or embellishment on the PSU player. But if anything I am going to call, it would have been a FF1 on the OSU player. Just wow I guess.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 956989)
As I posted a few weeks ago, another call where an official allows himself to get fooled by blowing a whistle on the feigned reaction of a player, instead of actually seeing the contact.

Apparently, the foul was called on the player doing the reacting....even worse.

JRutledge Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:41pm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Cd1XA-XGSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Embedded for better viewing.

Peace

crosscountry55 Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 957008)
Not only that, I felt it was a flop or embellishment on the PSU player. But if anything I am going to call, it would have been a FF1 on the OSU player. Just wow I guess.

Peace

This brings up a good point. Ignoring the bad call, what do you do here when you observe the shove by Red? The breakaway player was not yet in the act of shooting, but he's got a clear path to a highlight-reel dunk.

For me, if it's not flagrant, no call. But....it's a clear attempt to make the ball dead before the try begins, so reluctantly I have to call a F1 here (intentional in NFHS). I would hope for PSU that two shots and the ball would garner at least if not more points than a single breakaway field goal.

Other thoughts?

AremRed Thu Mar 05, 2015 01:21pm

I think the official called the foul for the offensive player sliding into the defenders path illegally screening him. The shove by the defender was a reaction to getting screened off.

Raymond Thu Mar 05, 2015 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 957030)
This brings up a good point. Ignoring the bad call, what do you do here when you observe the shove by Red? The breakaway player was not yet in the act of shooting, but he's got a clear path to a highlight-reel dunk.

For me, if it's not flagrant, no call. But....it's a clear attempt to make the ball dead before the try begins, so reluctantly I have to call a F1 here (intentional in NFHS). I would hope for PSU that two shots and the ball would garner at least if not more points than a single breakaway field goal.

Other thoughts?

If I blow the whistle to call a foul on Red, then it has to be FF1/Intentional.

Raymond Thu Mar 05, 2015 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 957038)
I think the official called the foul for the offensive player sliding into the defenders path illegally screening him. The shove by the defender was a reaction to getting screened off.

I think your post is the epitome' of B1G Ten officiating homer-ism....LMAO :p

It's alright if one of your guys blows a call. ;)

bob jenkins Thu Mar 05, 2015 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 957030)
But....it's a clear attempt to make the ball dead before the try begins, so reluctantly I have to call a F1 here (intentional in NFHS).

Disagree that "it's a clear attempt to make the ball dead".

Adam Thu Mar 05, 2015 02:42pm

Quote:

That might work if the screener had made contact first. From what I can see in the video, the first actual contact is the shove. It's possible they were watching for and anticipated an illegal screen here, but even if that's the case, they jumped the gun.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 05, 2015 02:47pm

Quote:

That might be but they were a couple feet apart except for the defender's outstretched arm that was used to push the offensive player. It might have become an illegal screen eventually, but it didn't. Even if it did, I'd probably rule that shooter was far enough ahead that it was incidental.

ILRef80 Thu Mar 05, 2015 04:18pm

Quote:

You're....kidding, right?