The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 07:37am
Administrator

Winter Weather and the End of the H.S. Basketball Season.

Our (MTD, Jr., and me) basketball season is over except for the Ohio Special Olympics Final Four the last weekend of this month. And so we leave for Florida this afternoon after his last class of the week before the start of his Spring Break for one week of umpiring women's college and girls' H.S. fast pitch softball.

We are driving to Florida and will be staying at my sister's condo while we umpire. I have been monitoring the weather and we are going to have some tough driving later today. Southern Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, and Western West Virginia have Winter Storming Warnings until 01:00pmEST (07:00pmEST for WV). Cincinnati is expecting 3 to 5 inches of snow; Lexington, KY, is expecting 7 to 10 inches of snow; and Charleston, WV, is expecting 8 to 12 inches of snow. If we take I-75 (the route will most likely take, 99% chance of taking) we will go through Cincinnati and Lexington; and if we take I-77 we will go through Charleston. Oh well, we will just drive slow.

For all of my fellow basketball officials in the affected areas, take care and be careful. And for everybody (especially in the NE) just remember the two sweetest words to a Cleveland Browns fan: SPRING TRAINING!! Because the Indians are finally becoming a team to watch.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
the two sweetest words to a Cleveland Browns fan: SPRING TRAINING!!
I thought those two words would be FREE BEER!!

Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:58am
Official & Member

Don't know where you're heading but I can tell you the Orlando area is flirting with record high temps today (mid 80's!). Hope you're bringing warm weather gear. That should be motivation enough to get ya through all that nasty stuff in the mid-Atlantic area today.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 11:08am.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Don't know where you're heading but I can tell you the Orlando area is flirting with record high temps today (mid 80's!). Hope you're bringing warm weather gear. That should be motivation enough to get ya through all that nasty stuff in the mid-Atlantic area today.

We are staying at my sister's condo in Ponce Inlet and umpiring at the Chain of Lakes Softball Complex in Titusville. It is 82F in both Ponce Inlet and Brevard County and 17F here in Toledo, as I type this post.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I thought those two words would be FREE BEER!!

You don't mean the "infamous" 10 cent beer night on June 04, 1974, at Cleveland Municipal Stadium do you?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 04:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
You don't mean the "infamous" 10 cent beer night on June 04, 1974, at Cleveland Municipal Stadium do you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

Almost as much fun as this special night in the south side of Chicago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 04:53pm.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 05:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Almost as much fun as this special night in the south side of Chicago:
I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago but I left there 8 years before this happened to come to Portland. In retrospect, I would have given virtually anything I had to have been in Comiskey Park that night.

I have a cousin who is also a lifelong White Sox fan who was there and he told me then that it was one of the most most fun nights of his life.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 05:40pm
Administrator

One of my roommates at Naval AOCS that summer was at the game. He said it was nuts. Everybody drunk and beating one another silly.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 06:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

The winter weather is certainly affecting our end of season. Conference Games were postponed and rescheduled last week and with school's closed tonight and tomorrow, our HS Regional Semi-Finals and Finals are delayed again too. I pity our Scholastic Assignor, he's had a tough second half of the season.

Our Rec and Church seasons are also winding down with make-up games scheduled almost every day next week.

The season will end with a flourish!

Everyone be safe out there.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 07:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here in Portland it's going to be in the mid to high 60's for the next 10 days at least, with light rain only on one of those days. All the other days it will be cloudy, partly cloudy or partly sunny.

Here at my assisted living center there have actually been people sitting outside for hours at a time the past few days.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 08:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
All the other days it will be cloudy, partly cloudy or partly sunny.
You're starting to sound like George Carlin!

OK Billy, you're up!
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here in Portland it's going to be in the mid to high 60's for the next 10 days at least, with light rain only on one of those days. All the other days it will be cloudy, partly cloudy or partly sunny.

Here at my assisted living center there have actually been people sitting outside for hours at a time the past few days.
Yeah, and I'm headed for New Hampshire on Sunday.......hope the WX moderates by then........
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Do I Have To Rotate The Tires On My Snowblower ???

Quote:
Here in Portland it's going to be in the mid to high 60's for the next 10 days at least ... there have actually been people sitting outside for hours at a time the past few days.
Shut up Mark Padgett. This winter, I have been putting more gasoline in my snowblower than in my car. I'm really getting tired of walking the snowblower down to the gas station every few days.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 10:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Shut up Mark Padgett. This winter, I have been putting more gasoline in my snowblower than in my car. I'm really getting tired of walking the snowblower down to the gas station every few days.
Even though I know what a snowblower is since I grew up in Chicago, my kids have never seen one since they grew up here in Portland.

Oh well, time for breakfast. Maybe I'll eat out on the patio this morning.

BTW - I'm wearing a short sleeved White Sox T-shirt today.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 04:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Tree Hugging, Northwest Pacific Coast, Hippie ...

Quote:
Even though I know what a snowblower is since I grew up in Chicago, my kids have never seen one since they grew up here in Portland. Oh well, time for breakfast. Maybe I'll eat out on the patio this morning. I'm wearing a short sleeved White Sox T-shirt today.
Once again, and you really deserve it this time: Shut up.

Along those same lines, my Catholic middle school assigner retired to Florida a few years ago. While we're up here in Connecticut, freezing our you-know-whats off, he's sitting on a beach, wiggling his toes in the sand, with an umbrella adult beverage in his hand, assigning games, on his laptop, using Arbiter.

He can shut up too.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 06, 2015 at 04:57pm.