The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

California Girl's Team Disqualified

http://deadspin.com/hs-basketball-te...ium=socialflow

Anyone here know more about the situation?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Today's Uni Watch touches on this issue.

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. The failure to assess a fashion police technical foul should not result in a fashion police forfeiture.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 09:38am
TODO: creative title here

I rather personally doubt that I would've noticed this as a problem... How would I know that pink isn't one of the school's colors? (Aside from the fact that I've never actually seen a school use pink as a school color, but there's a first time for everything).

The punishment certainly seems of line for the crime, but that's a decision made at a higher level than ours.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Is there a requirement that the numbers be a "school color?"
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 11:02am
Stubborn Member

Pathetic that fashion police rules would lead to something like this. Fine the school or something like that, but to kick the team out of the playoffs is insane.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

It's in the CIF-LA City Section manual.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
It's in the CIF-LA City Section manual.
As ridiculous as it may seem, if it's part of the rules for the league, it's part of the rules.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

When a rule becomes more important than the people it's supposed to serve, it's a bad rule.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Update-Narbonne was just reinstated to the city section finals after appealing to a 3 person panel of the LA City Section board of managers this morning.The coach will be barred from coaching in the championship game as a consequence of the uniform violation.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highsc...304-story.html
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
When a rule becomes more important than the people it's supposed to serve, it's a bad rule.
I'm not sure what this even means. Kids lose games all the time and get eliminated from playoffs because they broke rules.

I'm sorry, I just don't feel any compassion here. Now, if you can tell me this was a new rule snuck in and unannounced and unavailable for the coach to access, I might change my mind.

And yes, I see the posts saying they were granted a reprieve by the city council or something. Still not moved.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 04:35pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
You could say that about a lot of rules.

Still, the whole point of uniform rules is to indentify players within teams during a certain game, without confusion. If a home team is wearing white uniforms, but their numbers are a different color than their official color, what's the harm? Or, if a team that wears blue on the road suddenly changes to pink, where's the down side? Either way, both teams and their players can be identified in the game.

I'd say this rule is overreaching.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to hear more about WHY this rule was established in the first place. Maybe, for example, it was put in place so some teams with less money don't have the need to buy 15 different sets of uniforms. Or, maybe it was put in place for some gang / color reasons.

We can argue whether those are good reasons, or whether pink fits the criteria / problem the rule was originally designed to solve, but someone at sometime apparently thought this was a good rule.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2015, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not sure what this even means. Kids lose games all the time and get eliminated from playoffs because they broke rules.

I'm sorry, I just don't feel any compassion here. Now, if you can tell me this was a new rule snuck in and unannounced and unavailable for the coach to access, I might change my mind.

And yes, I see the posts saying they were granted a reprieve by the city council or something. Still not moved.
I don't see your opinion and mine as very far apart.
Various studies have demonstrated the overwhelming power that a coach has on his/her players. The probability that a player will disobey a parent's desires, regarding their conduct, but do almost anything that a coach says, is well documented in such studies.
I recognize the inherent responsibility of a coach to guide, instruct, and protect his/her players. This case seems to be an example of coach(es), administrators, who did not exercise themxelves and the trust placed in them with sufficient care for the consequences that might be paid by the players.
I admire the members of the review panel who realized that enforcement of this rule, in this case, was not appropriate.