The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Legal or no? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99400-legal-no.html)

Coach Bill Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:31am

Legal or no?

After a made basket, the visitors called timeout. After the timeout, they ran an inbounds play where the inbounder passed the ball out of bounds to a teammate along the baseline, then the inbounder stepped inbounds and his teammate passed him the ball. I thought this would be legal, but the official ruled a violation. What say you?

just another ref Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:38am

I assume you mean the timeout was granted immediately after the made basket and before a throw-in?

If so, yes, following the timeout the throw-in team retains the right to run the endline or the thrower may pass to a teammate out of bounds, then step in and receive the throw-in pass.

legal play

VaTerp Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:43am

Where you at my game tonight? Seriously...do you live in the DC area?

I had this exact play with one key additional detail. The visitors inbounded the ball and the player and coach both signaled for the timeout. The player was standing on the court with the ball in his hand and signaling timeout and it was reported at the table that the time out was called by blue #24.

I told the player he had a spot throw in before administering and he then proceeded to pass it to his teamate out of bounds. It took me a second to process it but it was a clear violation.

Coach got animated for a second and wanted an explanation, but after talking to me for a quick second, one of my partners reminded the coach that the timeout was granted when his player was standing a good 5-6 ft onto the court and signaling timeout above his head. Coach's response....."oh yeah."

Coach Bill Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 956404)
Where you at my game tonight? Seriously...do you live in the DC area?

I had this exact play with one key additional detail. The visitors inbounded the ball and the player and coach both signaled for the timeout. The player was standing on the court with the ball in his hand and signaling timeout and it was reported at the table that the time out was called by blue #24.

I told the player he had a spot throw in before administering and he then proceeded to pass it to his teamate out of bounds. It took me a second to process it but it was a clear violation.

Coach got animated for a second and wanted an explanation, but after talking to me for a quick second, one of my partners reminded the coach that the timeout was granted when his player was standing a good 5-6 ft onto the court and signaling timeout above his head. Coach's response....."oh yeah."

I was at your game! I must have missed the inbound after the made basket. I didn't think it was a spot throw-in. And, yeh, the whistle wasn't on the first pass, but the second pass, so I was like, what's wrong with that? Good call.

VaTerp Sat Feb 28, 2015 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 956405)
I was at your game! I must have missed the inbound after the made basket. I didn't think it was a spot throw-in. And, yeh, the whistle wasn't on the first pass, but the second pass, so I was like, what's wrong with that? Good call.

Crazy. Yeah, the whistle was late but it was a violation as soon as he passed the ball outside of the designated throw in spot. That's a really loud and tight gym so its easy to miss things.

There were some weird plays/situations including one of my partners tossing a fan with 12.3 seconds left in the game.

It was a hell of a HS playoff game though!

AremRed Sat Feb 28, 2015 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 956404)

Did you tell both coaches the spot and status of the ensuing throw-in? Did you signal publically that it was a spot throw-in before you handed the player the ball?

just another ref Sat Feb 28, 2015 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 956408)
Did you tell both coaches the spot and status of the ensuing throw-in? Did you signal publically that it was a spot throw-in before you handed the player the ball?

Are you saying that simply telling the thrower is not enough?

AremRed Sat Feb 28, 2015 02:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956416)

By rule or best practice to prevent problems?

just another ref Sat Feb 28, 2015 02:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 956417)
By rule or best practice to prevent problems?

Notifying both coaches (unless they asked) seems excessive to me.

AremRed Sat Feb 28, 2015 02:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956421)
Notifying both coaches (unless they asked) seems excessive to me.

Why? A little extra communication could have prevented the original problem in the OP.

just another ref Sat Feb 28, 2015 02:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 956422)
Why? A little extra communication could have prevented the original problem in the OP.

Yeah, but whose problem was it? :) I'm gonna do my best to tell the thrower and anybody else that asks, but even if I don't, it is ultimately the throwers own responsibility to know. Not unlike putting the ball in play with 6 on the floor.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 28, 2015 08:58am

When the TO is granted, all official, but especially the one with the ball, points to the ground (spot throw in) or gives thelittle hand movement to indicate run.

And, before administering the throw in, the official again points or waves the hand.

No need to go to the huddle to notify the coaches, but most will ask.

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 956406)
...one of my partners tossing a fan with 12.3 seconds left in the game.

Through the basket? That would be cool. :D

Raymond Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956416)

I verbalize for everyone to hear. The defense is supposed to notified as well as the offense.

Adam Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 956461)
I verbalize for everyone to hear. The defense is supposed to notified as well as the offense.

I signal to my partners so no one is surprised. We do this in a way that everyone can see it.

I then signal to the thrower and any defenders who are paying attention. I don't yell it so the concession stand can hear me, but I say it loud enough (my voice carries) and I also signal.

I don't go tell the coach either way.