The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mark Padgett;956333].

We tried to let a lot of contact go but made sure we called anything obvious and/or hard. Within a few minutes, it became apparent the gals were not anywhere able to play well against the guys due to the difference in size, speed and strength. I think the final score was something like 44-8. It just got to me that a "major league professional team" couldn't play well against a "pickup" team, even if there was a gender difference. It really put the WNBA into perspective for me.

QUOTE]

*I am surprised that a pro team--albeit women--could not match up with a group of rec players who are not professionally trained nor conditioned!
Could this translate into perhaps thinking that even the UCONN women's team could not beat a bunch of rec ballers? amazing.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

We tried to let a lot of contact go but made sure we called anything obvious and/or hard. Within a few minutes, it became apparent the gals were not anywhere able to play well against the guys due to the difference in size, speed and strength. I think the final score was something like 44-8. It just got to me that a "major league professional team" couldn't play well against a "pickup" team, even if there was a gender difference. It really put the WNBA into perspective for me.
*I am surprised that a pro team--albeit women--could not match up with a group of rec players who are not professionally trained nor conditioned!
Could this translate into perhaps thinking that even the UCONN women's team could not beat a bunch of rec ballers? amazing.

That comparison (higher level women's team scrimmages with lower level men's team) has played out on several levels several times. The results have been consistent every time I've heard about it.

I'm pretty sure that group of rec players wasn't just a bunch of desk jockey's that were at the gym to get their weekly workout. I'd guess, knowing that location, that they probably had some former small college players and/or former better HS varsity players or other similarly skilled players.

The women probably would have been outmatched physically at every single position in just about every measurement: height, weight, reach, strength, speed, etc.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That comparison (higher level women's team scrimmages with lower level men's team) has played out on several levels several times. The results have been consistent every time I've heard about it.

I'm pretty sure that group of rec players wasn't just a bunch of desk jockey's that were at the gym to get their weekly workout. I'd guess, knowing that location, that they probably had some former small college players and/or former better HS varsity players or other similarly skilled players.

The women probably would have been outmatched physically at every single position in just about every measurement: height, weight, reach, strength, speed, etc.
I would bet money that even the UCONN women's team would get beat pretty badly by an average high school varsity team.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd guess, knowing that location
Camron - it was the old Hoop in Beaverton, (which is now closed) and I think you're probably right about the makeup of the guy's team that night.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin Love in high school summer league.

Also did a couple Trailblazer alumni games....