The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 11:00am
Official & Member

Tennessee girls teams banned from post season for tanking

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...ned-postseason

Interesting story. Note how game officials reports were factored into penalties.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 11:56am
In Time Out

reminded me of the Olympic story

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/stor...-tanking-games
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:02pm
Often wrong never n doubt

How would winning the game make them end up playing a better team than losing? How does that tournament work?
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
How would winning the game make them end up playing a better team than losing? How does that tournament work?
I was wondering that too -- form a local paper:

"By losing the consolation game, Riverdale was placed in the opposite side of the Region 4-AAA from defending state and national champion Blackman. The Lady Warriors wouldn't meet Blackman until the region finals had both teams advanced. Both region finalists advance to the state sectionals."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...ason/23889277/

Looks like they were both going on to the next level playoffs, and their place would determine which part of the bracket they ended up in.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Winner was going to be the 4th seed, loser the 5th. It was merely going to prolong the inevitable give them a better shot at getting 2nd place, I guess.

Funny, if only one team had done it, no one would have likely caught on.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Winner was going to be the 4th seed, loser the 5th. It was merely going to prolong the inevitable give them a better shot at getting 2nd place, I guess.

Funny, if only one team had done it, no one would have likely caught on.
If I'm reading it right, they cared about that because the second place team would go on to the state finals.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

If they feel like they are the 2nd best team and only want to play the top team again in the final to take their shot then they have to ensure they are on the opposite side of the bracket.

Happens a lot in our high school playoffs where being 4 in the southwest send you with the 2 seed to play the 1 and 4 in the north east for playdowns to the final. SW traditionally stronger and 1 seeds host. so being 2 and 4 means you will most likely be playing on a neutral floor against each other to proceed to finals. Where as 3 in the SW will have to play 1 on the neutral floor. Not so much a problem with format as a disparity between NE and SW regions.

Should point out not as blatantly as in the video. No intentional violations or missed shots. But suddenly nicked up starters get the game off, players don't play to avoid getting hurt in the next round. Teams start working on new tactics and getting players "playoff experience".

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!

Last edited by Pantherdreams; Tue Feb 24, 2015 at 02:02pm.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 01:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

One and out here. Seems much simpler.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Everyone makes the playoffs here. And if you are a lower seed, you play a higher seed. It is simple. This system sounds silly.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Here in ohio playoff seeding for most sports depends on where your fellow coaches vote you to at the sectional meetings. Record,schedule, etc don't matter.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

It works like this: top 4 teams from each district tournament advance to the regional tournament. Top seed from District 1 plays #4 team from District 2, and so forth. Then, the champion and runner-up from each regional tournament play in a sub-state game. Champion of Region 1 hosts runner-up from Region 2; R1 champ hosts R2 runner-up. Winner goes to Murfreesboro for the state tournament.

In this scenario, the top team in the district (Blackman) was the top team in the state. The No. 4 seed from the same district would not have to face Blackman until the regional final, if they made it that far. Then, even if they lost, they would get to play a sub-state game and still have a chance to get to the state tournament.

A team could theoretically lose three times in the postseason - district semifinal, district consolation game, regional championship game - and still win the state title. Perhaps this incident will cause the TSSAA to revisit the way they structure the basketball postseason. Problem is, the state makes way too much money off all these extra tournament games to change much of anything.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked in seven states and not one has had a similar playoff and seeding system. C'est la vie; you abide by the rules you're given.

I will say this: If TSSAA has a bylaw that states outright a determination of a team intentionally trying to lose is grounds for a post-season ban, then I'm all for that. This may have been the case here. If so, I'm ok with the result.

If not, they (and all state associations, for that matter) need to encode such a bylaw ASAP. That will stop this kind of thing.

Also, not to excuse the teams, but shame on TSSAA for having an established playoff seeding system that rewards a loser. Fix that. Winning should provide better seeding. Period. If that didn't happen here, shame on TSSAA.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 09:57pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Also, not to excuse the teams, but shame on TSSAA for having an established playoff seeding system that rewards a loser. Fix that. Winning should provide better seeding. Period. If that didn't happen here, shame on TSSAA.
I think any league that thinks a team won't expose a long-term benefit through losing is being naïve.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 07:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I think any league that thinks a team won't expose a long-term benefit through losing is being naive.
Draft choices. Wait? I'm being told ... What? Not the Knicks? High school? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I think any league that thinks a team won't expose a long-term benefit through losing is being naïve.
I'm guessing it happens far more often than they think. They just don't notice because it never involved both teams doing it at the same time.