The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2.10.1 Situation L - but in reverse (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99353-2-10-1-situation-l-but-reverse.html)

Nevadaref Sat Feb 21, 2015 05:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 955630)
Of course he would, God forbid somebody does something to upset you.

Being truthful with my partners, the coaches, and players is of paramount importance to me. I can always forgive honest mistakes, but another official being dishonest or untruthful is definitely going to upset me. Our integrity forms the core of our job description as game officials.

By your post are you saying that you feel differently?

Adam Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 955615)
The problem in this play was that your Trail told you "no" when he actually wasn't aware of whether or not the ball went in. Had he simply been honest and said, "I don't know" or "I didn't see it" you would have gone through the process of asking these other people BEFORE awarding any FTs and obtained the correct answer before continuing the game. That would have prevented the need to use the AP arrow in the situation in your game. I would be very upset with the Trail and he would hear about it following the game.

Agreed. If you didn't see it, say that. He put the calling official in a tough spot when it wasn't necessary.

BryanV21 Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 955617)
Agreed. He got caught ball watching as the play transitioned from his area to mine. He acknowledged it at half time.

The H coach wasn't happy that we went to the AP arrow but it was the right procedure since an officials error meant no one rebounded.

Every time a coach points out a mistake I made, I want to ask them about the mistakes they've made as a coach.

johnny d Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 955636)
Being truthful with my partners, the coaches, and players is of paramount importance to me. I can always forgive honest mistakes, but another official being dishonest or untruthful is definitely going to upset me. Our integrity forms the core of our job description as game officials.

By your post are you saying that you feel differently?

No. My post is implying that I can only imagine the ensuing lecture another official would receive because you were upset, rather than a discussion about what happened and how it might have been handled differently.

Nevadaref Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:05pm

Please tell all of us how you handle one official lying about something to his partner differently.

AremRed Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 955728)
Please tell all of us how you handle one official lying about something to his partner differently.

Are you sure his telling you the ball went in was "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"?

Nevadaref Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 955735)
Are you sure his telling you the ball went in was "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"?

It has been made clear by the OP that it was definitely a false statement. The deception comes from telling his parter information as if it were a fact when he didn't even see it. That is unacceptable.

Rich1 Sun Feb 22, 2015 02:56am

Quote:

I would not classify my partners actions as a lie. He saw the ball bounce away at a weird angle and assumed it had bounced off the rim without going in, which he thought was verified by the other ref since he did not question it (he administered the free throws). It was an error and we fixed it. That's all.

johnny d Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14am

Quote:

Lying is such an egregious crime, I would just skip the lecture, blast the guy with a taser, and then finish the game with 2 officials.