The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 11:02pm
AremRed

3-person JV is pretty rare here, most schools don't have the money. There is one assignor who requires 3-person JV at the schools he assigns but that's about it.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

1099's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
but the SSN and TINs must remain in the encrypted format so they can be used in reports, etc.
AKA send you 1099's and report how much they pay you to the gov't. You are not getting paid by the schools/associations. They are funding their RefPay account and RefPay pays you, so if you get paid over $600 in ArbiterPay throughout the year, expect a 1099.

Also, in our area, the individual schools determine if/when they want 3-person, not the association. I have never seen a 3-person JV game.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Part Of The Cost Of Doing Business ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
... they will mail you a check or credit it to a ArbiterPay debit card, both for a fee.
Yeah, that's what I want to do, pay to get paid.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Being Sarcastic, I'm Serious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Giving them your account number is no different than making a purchase ... online.
Isn't it easier to for me to "fix" a "drained" credit (not debit) card than a "drained" bank checking account?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Isn't it easier to for me to "fix" a "drained" credit (not debit) card than a "drained" bank checking account?
Visa and Mastercard both require banks to offer the same protection to their debit cards as their credit cards when they bear the Visa or Mastercard logo.

That said, it can potentially cause legitimate payments to bounce in the couple of days it should take to straighten things out. If that bothers you, it is as easy as setting up a separate account to receive these payments into so if something bad happens it's not happening to your main bank account.

My bank has been incredibly proactive, shutting access to my refereeing account before a single unauthorized transaction occurred when my card was compromised when Official Sports International got hacked. Likewise when Target got hacked. YMMV.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
\
Also, he told me that after talking to one of the more prominent assignors in the area that he (the assignor) is planning to go 3-person crews on boys JV next year. Any of you working 3-person JV?
Don't work much JV...but if you're somehow able to get this over....DO IT. That's the perfect training ground for future varsity/college officials. I would absolutely love working a JV game with 3 officials...if it meant I could help younger officials to work the system!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 08:12am
This IS My Social Life

They Call It "Three Men and a Truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Don't work much JV...but if you're somehow able to get this over....DO IT. That's the perfect training ground for future varsity/college officials. I would absolutely love working a JV game with 3 officials...if it meant I could help younger officials to work the system!
Maybe it sets a bad precedent when it's done, but I admire the initiative of some officials around here who occasionally join in with a 2-man JV crew to make it a 3-man game, then just split the 2-man fee three ways.
Good cuz it provides effective training for the future. Bad cuz it gives the schools something for free.
Good cuz it shows the schools the kind of quality service they could have if only they loosened the purse strings enough to pay for three officials. Bad cuz why would they pay for it if they're getting it for free now.
Maybe I'm at fault for my ambivalence, but more good seems to be coming out of this than bad.
Though I still don't feel perfectly comfortable with the "giveaway" aspect of it.
I'm torn.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Anybody else remember these days? (This is the lunch lady by day and game tix taker by night, right?)
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I sent an e-mail to them expressing my displeasure about the password thing. They replied with a link to a forum on their site discussing the matter. Their tech posted in that forum that they do not store the password in plain text in their database. It is encrypted, along with the social security numbers and taxpayer ID numbers, in a manner that allows it to be decrypted, which is how they are able to e-mail it to you when requested.

He claimed they are working on a one-way hash method for passwords so that it cannot be decrypted, but the SSN and TINs must remain in the encrypted format so they can be used in reports, etc.
I'm glad to hear this. It's still not as good as a hash - encryption can be and is compromised, as it more or less depends on keeping the host's internal network (and thus the key) secure - but it's better than plaintext. They still shouldn't be sending people passwords in the open, though. Much better a controlled-and-timed reset link.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn335 View Post
I'm glad to hear this. It's still not as good as a hash - encryption can be and is compromised, as it more or less depends on keeping the host's internal network (and thus the key) secure - but it's better than plaintext. They still shouldn't be sending people passwords in the open, though. Much better a controlled-and-timed reset link.
Agree...and I've done it that way for years. Flattering to be copied.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
They are funding their RefPay account and RefPay pays you, so if you get paid over $600 in ArbiterPay throughout the year, expect a 1099.
I got a 1099 from one association when the total was $100. Arbiter will issue 1099 for every cent. Need to keep track of your expenses.

Only downfall is when schools don't pay you right away. Some don't have money in their account. I waited a full month to get paid for one goy/girl double header. Can be difficult to keep track of who pays when your schedule gets hectic mid-season. You have to request transfer but if you want automatic, they deduct a few dollars for each. No thanks, I'll request my own.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of thoughts....

My assignor has been using it for a few years now. And, he's getting more and more high schools to utilize it in the greater urban area where I live.

Most of the outlying schools that are smaller class and use a different assignor(s), still issue checks on game day.

I actually prefer game checks on game day. Done deal. Some of the ADs I talk with prefer checks on game day too because they are done with the whole thing on the spot. Refs are paid and they move on to the next business at hand.

The thing I don't like about the Refpay situation is that schools that used to pay by check on game day now tend to wait a day or two after the game to deposit funds to my Refpay account. Then, it can take up to 2 or 3 days for the EFT to hit my bank account from Refpay. So, it's gone from getting a check on game day to getting funds up to 5 business days later.

Not a huge deal, but definitely something I had to get used to when balancing my officiating book.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
So, it's gone from getting a check on game day to getting funds up to 5 business days later.
And with mobile banking, I can deposit the check at half time by taking a couple pictures with my phone.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And with mobile banking, I can deposit the check at half time by taking a couple pictures with my phone.
Halftime? Our crew does it before we even start getting dressed for the game.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I tried that once with my banking app cuz it sounded cool. It worked. But the funds were available like 2 or 3 days later, though, after verification. ho hum.