The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 08:20pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I would consider diving to the floor to get a loose ball be the same as falling to the floor without a pivot foot. So, I don't think falling to the floor without having established a pivot foot is a violation.
If the ball is loose, then the player doesn't possess it. And if a player doesn't possess the ball, how does he establish a pivot foot?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Travel...although the call would have been easier if I wasn't straight lined by the score of the game.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
Can someone post clip. 14:47 1st half. WV player gathers ball while one knee is on the floor. He then stands up. Looks like an easy traveling call. Is the College rule different?
As Bob and Camron point out it is different. Saying the same thing in a different way---In NFHS if you are holding the ball the only thing allowed to touch the floor is the hand or foot. If you bend over and your knee hits it is a violation...even if your pivot foot never moves. Also, in NFHS, if you get the ball with a knee already on the floor you cannot stand up without first dribbling the ball.

In NCAAM you can touch the floor with knee etc...gain ball on floor and stand IF you keep a pivot foot.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 10:47pm
AremRed

I don't know about this one. I thought the player started dribbling close enough to the lifting of the knee at first watch, but if you slow it down it's clearly a travel first. Don't think I would get this one right on the court.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I suppose I'm not envisioning how someone could be standing on two feet and then fall to the floor without having established a pivot first. I can picture someone gaining possession of the ball mid-air and then landing on the floor without either foot touching the floor.
Having two feet on the floor doesn't mean the player is in a stable position.

Example...player jumps for the ball, catches it in mid-air, lands on one foot followed by the other but is off balance. They fall to the floor such that the first foot down doesn't move. Certainly not common, but not really that improbable either.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I suppose I'm not envisioning how someone could be standing on two feet and then fall to the floor without having established a pivot first. I can picture someone gaining possession of the ball mid-air and then landing on the floor without either foot touching the floor.
Your right..when a person holding the ball starts to fall one foot is likely to move or come up first making the other the pivot. Then the fall and the pivot foot is not held. As NCAA notes in ar 198-falling to floor and keeping pivot foot "virtually impossible."

I've seen a player have two feet down for an instant, no pivot foot ESTABLISHED yet, both feet then fly out in front of him, he goes down with ball. Jump stop play. He was leaning back when he landed on two feet. He never established pivot foot but it is travel under rules and case book plays. That is travel because although the right or left foot was never established as THE pivot..one of them was and it moved. (we talked about this some weeks ago in connection with player jumping in air before establishing pivot foot and then dribbling...there's a case play that talks about having a pivot foot even though you dont have it "established" yet--4.44.3B.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Feb 18, 2015 at 11:06am.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
While we are at it, I would say the final play (WVU game-winner with 3 seconds left) is worth some discussion.
Didn't see this post earlier.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

definitely travelled once. Might have travelled twice.