The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Marist vs Iona Fastbreak Dunk Block/Charge??? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99279-marist-vs-iona-fastbreak-dunk-block-charge-video.html)

IUgrad92 Mon Feb 09, 2015 02:43pm

Marist vs Iona Fastbreak Dunk Block/Charge??? (Video)

Quote:

Sweet dunk, but what's the correct call??
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sOZU-_WGRN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kansas Ref Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28am

I have "nothing"...the defender was leaning backwards as the shooter/dunker elevated, gradually moved into the defender's space via momentum--however, defender was not displaced--the defender displaced himself by leaning backwards--only wind was between them--no real contact. Therefore, I have "nothing". This kind of play happens frequently--a no-call due to no contact; however, the official calling the play called a 'block' so I must be wrong

APG Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31am

I have no idea why this thread was in the testing forum, so I moved it here.

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:05am

I have nothing as well.

griblets Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30am

Knee to the face doesn't take much to displace a defender. The defender is allowed to move backward to maintain LGP. IMHO, there's no reason to require the defender to take the full brunt of contact on a play like this to call PC.

Adam Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griblets (Post 956648)
Knee to the face doesn't take much to displace a defender. The defender is allowed to move backward to maintain LGP. IMHO, there's no reason to require the defender to take the full brunt of contact on a play like this to call PC.

Agreed, but the problem is, when the defender is still moving back so quickly it gets hard to tell whether he displaced himself or not. Normally, if I can't tell, I'm going to no-call the play.

Definitely not a block, IMO.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:21pm

I have a block.

I'm not 100% but I think the shooter was slipping by the defender and the defender drifted towards the endline (not directly away from the shooter) so he'd stay in the shooter's path after the shooter was airborne.

I'd like to see the endline view, however, for a much better view.

Raymond Mon Mar 02, 2015 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 956644)
I have no idea why this thread was in the testing forum, so I moved it here.

Must have been practicing his embedding skills.

Rooster Mon Mar 02, 2015 02:31pm

Two things are going through my head as I watch this:
1. To and through? Kinda. Not enough for me to ship it though.
2. Does the defender stay up if there's no contact? I think so. The knee to the head knocked him down but that would be tough to see from the L. It looks like the C is squaring up to have a secondary whistle and send it, but stops when he sees block from the lead.

I'm in the "Definitely not a block" camp.

jTheUmp Mon Mar 02, 2015 02:39pm

Not a block from the camera angle that we have... L has a completely different look, and from his angle it probably looked worse than it does from our vantage point.

bainsey Mon Mar 02, 2015 02:49pm

I started a different thread with the following question, but it was before I saw this video, and since the video is pretty accurate scenario of what I had in mind, I deleted that post and going with it here.

So, everyone here knows (or should) that LGP is required before a shooter leaves the floor to draw a PCF. The usual visualization of this play is that the defender is stationary. Let's try something else:

Let's say A-1 drives, closely guarded by B-2. In a whole quick motion, A-1 stops his dribble, B-2 obtains LGP, A-1 goes airborne and forward, and B-2 backs up and draws contact from A-1 after the ball is released.

Assuming the contact is advantageous, we would still have a charge, yes? Even though, by rule, LGP is maintained by moving backwards, is there any instance in this scenario where it could be argued that LGP is somehow lost?

(BTW, I have a PCF in this video. I have LGP before the shot is released, moving backwards, and a displacing knee to the face.)

just another ref Mon Mar 02, 2015 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 956684)
Let's say A-1 drives, closely guarded by B-2. In a whole quick motion, A-1 stops his dribble, B-2 obtains LGP, A-1 goes airborne and forward, and B-2 backs up and draws contact from A-1 after the ball is released.

Assuming the contact is advantageous, we would still have a charge, yes? Even though, by rule, LGP is maintained by moving backwards, is there any instance in this scenario where it could be argued that LGP is somehow lost?

In a recent thread, some said they would call a block on the defender for leaning back (why??) so some of those guys might apply that same philosophy to this. Much more common, I think, is when the defender had LGP but still moves slightly to "center up" the contact after the shooter is airborne, the resulting contact is improperly called a block.

Pantherdreams Mon Mar 02, 2015 04:35pm

I don't see a block at all.

I don't like the no call but based on interps in previous posts about how to call these sorts of plays from our NCAA official fellows, I understand why it is no called.

I would be perfectly fine with a PC here.

Not to hijack the thread but I guess the question that I have . .. without getting into a lot of growth of sport, safety, concussion issues that most here don't see as related to calling plays:

If a player can have LGP. And can maintain legal guarding position by turning, moving backwards, etc to protect themselves. BUT we are interpreting (or being asked to interpret) that choice to protect yourself from contact, by minimizing its impact, as grounds to turn a pc into a no-call or block . . Then what is the purpose of including the clarification about maintaining LGP when protecting yourself there for?

Camron Rust Mon Mar 02, 2015 05:44pm

I think this is one of those plays where the camera angle might be fooling a lot of us (maybe me). It appears to be mostly likely a PC from this view but I see just enough to support the possibility that the L, from his angle, had something that made it a block. I'm going to trust him on this one and go with the block based on the his call and the few hints that could support that call. Without his view, however, I'm couldn't make any confident argument that either call is wrong. It is just the wrong angle to be conclusive either way, IMO.

AremRed Mon Mar 02, 2015 07:10pm

Block and-1 for getting in the way of a highlight dunk.