The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
"Chris Paul has been fined $25,000 for his public criticism of Lauren Holtkamp, the first-year referee who called a technical foul against the Los Angeles Clippers star point guard earlier this week."
Full story:
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12292518
As I predicted, Chris Paul was fined by the NBA and not mention of "gender issues" being considered - BECAUSE IT BAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HE SAID! Case closed....
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 06:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
As I predicted, Chris Paul was fined by the NBA and not mention of "gender issues" being considered - BECAUSE IT BAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HE SAID! Case closed....
You really expected them to address that angle?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 07:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Like the NBA would address that....

Two cents? I want change.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I watched the game. And the follow-up portion of my narative came from 2 NBA refs, one of whom, as a guest speeker, recited the story to our officiating group of aprox. 150 officials. The other confirmed the story in personal conversations, with me and others of my officiating colleagues.
Don't forget that the NBA has clamped down quite a bit on player behavior in the past several years.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Many years ago, a rookie ref called a foul on Michael Jordan, near the end of a close game, against the Utah Jazz. When Mr. Jordan verbally objected, with something along the lines of, "You can't call that on me!" the ref T'd him and tossed him. The Jazz won the game.
That rookie ref lost his schedule for the rest of the season, and was brought back the next season, "on probation". It was understood by the officials, and those of us who knew the background of the situation, that A) nobody comes to watch the refs, and B) nobody comes to watch the 11th or 12th player on the bench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Got a citation for this bit of trivia?
Here's the clip of what is likely the game in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErOSUnO1oH0

I can't confirm or deny the allegations that the rookie ref lost his schedule.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post

Jordan and Phil Jackson had it coming. Wouldn't be the first time a bus got run over an official who properly ejected a player.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:31am
AremRed

Quote:

Looks like a good ejection for me.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Looks like a good ejection for me.
I agree, except for the fact that I'm a Bulls Fan.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 10:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

If that were to happen today, the broadcasters would've roasted the officials for the remainder of the game about the officials taking the game out of the players' hands.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If that were to happen today, the broadcasters would've roasted the officials for the remainder of the game about the officials taking the game out of the players' hands.
And the schedule alteration would have been the primary news story for about 48 hours.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
One would hope that the league would be consistent, but we all know that the fine would not be the same. This particular fine is about the NBA attempting to protect its newest female official. For several years now league has made it known that it has a desire to have a female official or two working games and is going to take whatever measures it needs to enact that. This is mostly PR and PC so the league can been seen as inclusive.
This is flat out wrong and an attempt to twist facts to fit your pre-determined narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
"Paul, who also is head of the National Basketball Players Association, and several other Clippers players said after postgame interviews that their displeasure had nothing to do with Holtkamp's gender and everything to do with the calls she made on the court."

Replace "her" with "him" and he could have easily applied that statement to any other rookie official.

I think the fine will be around $25K, which is in line with most recent fines for public criticism of officials.
As I stated the day before the fine was announced, Paul's fine was in line with several other recent examples of fines levied for public criticism of officials.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Documentary

I saw this documentary a few months ago called Summer Dreams. It features Lauren Holtkamp as the referee hopeful making her way into the D league. It's a fascinating look into her life.

If you want to know more about Lauren, that's a great place to start. I have no idea what Chris Paul said or didn't say. And I'm certainly not qualified to judge whether it was a good T or not. All I can say is she definitely belongs where she is and I'm happy for her. I've never met her but if I can be half the official she is, then I'm doing well.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I understand that Lauren Holtkamp had officiated at least one other Clippers game prior to the game in question. The greater onus is on Chris Paul for the scenario in question.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:34am
Courageous When Prudent

I just think it is idiotic to imply someone is not ready for the NBA based on one technical foul call. Makes me question whether he is qualified to be in a union leadership position.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jul 20, 2018 at 07:22am.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just think it is idiotic to imply someone is not ready for the NBA based on one technical foul car Makes me question whether is qualified to be in a union leadership position.
Exactly!!!

Peace