The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling VIOLATION? PLEASE ANSWER (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99244-traveling-violation-please-answer.html)

Scholastica32 Thu Feb 05, 2015 09:39pm

Traveling VIOLATION? PLEASE ANSWER

If a player controls the ball, touches the ball on the ground and picks it back up. (Maintains possession throughout the process.) Is that a violation?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 05, 2015 09:46pm

Legal Play. Right from the case book.

Mregor Thu Feb 05, 2015 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scholastica32 (Post 953804)
If a player controls the ball, touches the ball on the ground and picks it back up. (Maintains possession throughout the process.) Is that a violation?

Nope.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 05, 2015 09:55pm

Traveling, with one exception, ALWAYS involves moving the feet while holding the ball.

ccrroo Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17pm

Anytime I see that on TV, I remember a coach telling me it was a double dribble. But that was like 35 years ago. Is anyone old enough to remember if it was ever a violation. Just curious. I've never seen it called.

DrPete Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40pm

I do remember it as a violation back in the day when I played HS ball. And worked with a "veteran" official last week in an adult rec game where he called this a double dribble (player had not yet dribbled and just touched the ball to the floor with two hands and then raised up). I just cringed and spoke to him later that was ok to do that. He insisted that it was a double dribble or a travel, he wasn't sure which.

MechanicGuy Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccrroo (Post 953810)
I've never seen it called.

Really?

I see inexperienced call this one at least one a season.

Actually had a younger partner of mine call it last week. :o

Camron Rust Fri Feb 06, 2015 03:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 953819)
I do remember it as a violation back in the day when I played HS ball. And worked with a "veteran" official last week in an adult rec game where he called this a double dribble (player had not yet dribbled and just touched the ball to the floor with two hands and then raised up). I just cringed and spoke to him later that was ok to do that. He insisted that it was a double dribble or a travel, he wasn't sure which.

Just because you remember it being called doesn't necessarily mean it was ever the rule. Your veteran partner is proof of that.

BillyMac Fri Feb 06, 2015 06:49am

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

4.15 COMMENT: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player
is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds
from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass
away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control
under these conditions. It is a dribble when a player stands still and bounces the
ball. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches
it to the floor once or more than once.