The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:44am
Often wrong never n doubt

proper sequence of signals on foul with made basket

Player fouled in the act of shooting, basket is made. Which is the proper way to signal.

Whistle, fist, score basket, preliminary signal, one shot or
Whistle, fist, preliminary signal, score basket, one shot.

A preliminary signal is expected in our area.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I would probably choose to give the preliminary signal first, but I'd say you should do it in whatever order makes you feel comfortable.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:50am
Courageous When Prudent

I only do a preliminary on a Blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:51am
TODO: creative title here

At the spot of the call:
Whistle, fist, score basket, preliminary signal, one shot.

At table:
"basket's good (signal), foul on Red 55 (signal), block/push/hit (signal), one shot (signal)"
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
i only do a preliminary on a blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.
+1
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Player fouled in the act of shooting, basket is made. Which is the proper way to signal.

This is how it is taught where I live. But often the preliminary signal is not given.

I know that I often give the "block" signal before I count the basket. But these are not big deals to anyone here either. As long as you give the signals at some point, that is the main thing to remember.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
i only do a preliminary on a blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.
+ 2
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:21am
Stubborn Member

I only give a preliminary signal if the play calls for one.

I mean, if it's clearly a foul against the defense, like an illegal contact foul during the shot, I'll just give the whistle-fist-made basket-1 shot signal.

But if it's like a block/charge play, then I'll give the preliminary block/charge call. Or if the foul is a push down low/body, while there's no foul above the shoulders/arms, then I'll give the preliminary so people know what type of foul I had.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:21am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I only do a preliminary on a Blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.
Same, unless I'm trying to signal "first foul" or clarify what a player did during an off-ball or loose ball foul.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
+3 (I can follow a trend...)
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I know that I often give the "block" signal before I count the basket. But these are not big deals to anyone here either. As long as you give the signals at some point, that is the main thing to remember.
Where I worked last year preliminary signals were mandatory.* Which I hate. But I was in Rome, so I did as the Romans did.

* Exception for me which has been cited elsewhere in the thread, is a block on a B/C play, or I suppose any other play where there could be confusion on whether the foul was offense or defense. For this, I agree that the order of signal (foul vs. scoring the bucket) doesn't matter. My preference is to sell the unknown first, so I signal the foul first; everyone in the gym can tell the ball went in the basket, so I'm not in as much a rush to signal that.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not very far from you, and preliminary signals are expected here too, but I don't give a preliminary on an "And one" unless it's a block/charge. Giving a preliminary on an illegal use of hands or push is just clunky, plus if you're counting the basket it's pretty obvious who the foul is on. I've never been told otherwise when evaluated.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

My routine is to always comunicate to my partners first. Whistle,fist,say team color,point to ball placement and lastly to the table.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 01:44pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I'm not very far from you, and preliminary signals are expected here too, but I don't give a preliminary on an "And one" unless it's a block/charge. Giving a preliminary on an illegal use of hands or push is just clunky, plus if you're counting the basket it's pretty obvious who the foul is on. I've never been told otherwise when evaluated.
That is exactly how I felt last night. I go whistle, right arm up in fist, left arm to count it and then I thought I didn't do preliminary and gave the illegal use preliminary. Seemed weird at the time. Normally I never do preliminary except on block/charge.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is exactly how I felt last night. I go whistle, right arm up in fist, left arm to count it and then I thought I didn't do preliminary and gave the illegal use preliminary. Seemed weird at the time. Normally I never do preliminary except on block/charge.
When I do use the "block" preliminary, I go whistle/fist, block signal, count basket signal. When I have some other sort of foul, I just go whistle/fist, count basket signal and go report.