The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   proper sequence of signals on foul with made basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99234-proper-sequence-signals-foul-made-basket.html)

jeremy341a Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:44am

proper sequence of signals on foul with made basket

Player fouled in the act of shooting, basket is made. Which is the proper way to signal.

Whistle, fist, score basket, preliminary signal, one shot or
Whistle, fist, preliminary signal, score basket, one shot.

A preliminary signal is expected in our area.

La Rikardo Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50am

I would probably choose to give the preliminary signal first, but I'd say you should do it in whatever order makes you feel comfortable.

Raymond Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50am

I only do a preliminary on a Blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.

jTheUmp Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51am

At the spot of the call:
Whistle, fist, score basket, preliminary signal, one shot.

At table:
"basket's good (signal), foul on Red 55 (signal), block/push/hit (signal), one shot (signal)"

Rich Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 953613)
i only do a preliminary on a blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.

+1

JRutledge Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 953611)
Player fouled in the act of shooting, basket is made. Which is the proper way to signal.

This is how it is taught where I live. But often the preliminary signal is not given.

I know that I often give the "block" signal before I count the basket. But these are not big deals to anyone here either. As long as you give the signals at some point, that is the main thing to remember.

Peace

VaTerp Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 953613)
i only do a preliminary on a blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.

+ 2

BryanV21 Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:21am

I only give a preliminary signal if the play calls for one.

I mean, if it's clearly a foul against the defense, like an illegal contact foul during the shot, I'll just give the whistle-fist-made basket-1 shot signal.

But if it's like a block/charge play, then I'll give the preliminary block/charge call. Or if the foul is a push down low/body, while there's no foul above the shoulders/arms, then I'll give the preliminary so people know what type of foul I had.

AremRed Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 953613)
I only do a preliminary on a Blocking foul. In those cases the preliminary comes before signaling to score the basket.

Same, unless I'm trying to signal "first foul" or clarify what a player did during an off-ball or loose ball foul.

frezer11 Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 953613)

+3 (I can follow a trend...)

crosscountry55 Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 953624)
I know that I often give the "block" signal before I count the basket. But these are not big deals to anyone here either. As long as you give the signals at some point, that is the main thing to remember.

Where I worked last year preliminary signals were mandatory.* Which I hate. But I was in Rome, so I did as the Romans did.

* Exception for me which has been cited elsewhere in the thread, is a block on a B/C play, or I suppose any other play where there could be confusion on whether the foul was offense or defense. For this, I agree that the order of signal (foul vs. scoring the bucket) doesn't matter. My preference is to sell the unknown first, so I signal the foul first; everyone in the gym can tell the ball went in the basket, so I'm not in as much a rush to signal that.

zm1283 Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 953611)

I'm not very far from you, and preliminary signals are expected here too, but I don't give a preliminary on an "And one" unless it's a block/charge. Giving a preliminary on an illegal use of hands or push is just clunky, plus if you're counting the basket it's pretty obvious who the foul is on. I've never been told otherwise when evaluated.

River Ref Wed Feb 04, 2015 01:35pm

My routine is to always comunicate to my partners first. Whistle,fist,say team color,point to ball placement and lastly to the table.

jeremy341a Wed Feb 04, 2015 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 953645)
I'm not very far from you, and preliminary signals are expected here too, but I don't give a preliminary on an "And one" unless it's a block/charge. Giving a preliminary on an illegal use of hands or push is just clunky, plus if you're counting the basket it's pretty obvious who the foul is on. I've never been told otherwise when evaluated.

That is exactly how I felt last night. I go whistle, right arm up in fist, left arm to count it and then I thought I didn't do preliminary and gave the illegal use preliminary. Seemed weird at the time. Normally I never do preliminary except on block/charge.

zm1283 Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 953655)
That is exactly how I felt last night. I go whistle, right arm up in fist, left arm to count it and then I thought I didn't do preliminary and gave the illegal use preliminary. Seemed weird at the time. Normally I never do preliminary except on block/charge.

When I do use the "block" preliminary, I go whistle/fist, block signal, count basket signal. When I have some other sort of foul, I just go whistle/fist, count basket signal and go report.