The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   player passes ref the ball (out of bounds) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99218-player-passes-ref-ball-out-bounds.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 953448)
Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., are you officiating a basketball game, or doing the hokey pokey?

Ask my boys, I do a mean Electric Slide. After all, I was only 25 in 1976.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 953462)
Got a rule citation to back your violation call?

The throwin didn't go directly inbounds?????

Nevadaref Tue Feb 03, 2015 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 953475)
The throwin didn't go directly inbounds?????

This is an endline throw-in and not the actual throw-in pass.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 03, 2015 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 953477)

That would be fine if the ball were still along the endline. Once beyond the corner, it is no longer along the endline as required.

Quote:

ART. 7 . . . A throw-in anywhere along the end line after a goal or an awarded goal for basket interference or goaltending by a defensive player, as in 9-12 Penalty 1, the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line.

a. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary.

just another ref Tue Feb 03, 2015 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 953477)

If there is no teammate outside the endline, is it not then, by default, an errant throw-in pass?

crosscountry55 Tue Feb 03, 2015 09:29pm

With some humor spliced in, I think we're waaaaaayyyy overthinking this. This happens all the time. Just smile and either pass or deflect it back to the thrower who is OOB. If the thrower gives me that look that says, "uh, should I give this to you?" then I just start walking slowly forward and give a little underhanded 'go ahead' motion, which almost always works.

I even see this happen in college games on TV from time to time. After a basket the thrower is sometimes thinking about the next play downcourt and almost instinctively passes the ball to the trail official. And guess what? The trail just passes it back.

Raymond Tue Feb 03, 2015 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 953397)
Catch it, and toss it back.

Or I'll just tap it back. When it happens it always happens immediately upon disposal.

zm1283 Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:50am

The vast majority of the time, this occurs in a bad JV game where the players don't even know how to line up for a free throw. I just tap it back to them and go on.

Rich1 Thu Feb 05, 2015 09:57pm

If its near me I'll tap it back towards them with a hand or foot. If its not within reach, I will usually wait to start my count until they retrieve it but start immediately. For competitive upper level games I may chose not to do this if I feel they should know better but this usually only happens with JV and below or with schools who barely field a team so they don't really have experienced players (and are usually getting blown out).