The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, so do we all agree on 2 things: 1.) there is a such a rule and 2.) I'm wrong, I'm applying it incorrectly, my scenario doesn't fit the rule.

Remember I'm not a trained official and never have claimed to know it all, I'm still learning.

So my question is, when would you call this tech? And if you say, when the player yells or takes off his shirt or disrespects the ref, I think you're now making it about him disrespecting the ref and not applying it to the rule as it is stated.

I get it, if he goes into the stands like Ron Artest and starts fighting but if I could get one I'd really appreciate it. I'm really enjoying the conversations and I hope I'm not upsetting anyone.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 03:30pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights_Coach View Post
Ok, so do we all agree on 2 things: 1.) there is a such a rule and 2.) I'm wrong, I'm applying it incorrectly, my scenario doesn't fit the rule.

Remember I'm not a trained official and never have claimed to know it all, I'm still learning.

So my question is, when would you call this tech? And if you say, when the player yells or takes off his shirt or disrespects the ref, I think you're now making it about him disrespecting the ref and not applying it to the rule as it is stated.

I get it, if he goes into the stands like Ron Artest and starts fighting but if I could get one I'd really appreciate it. I'm really enjoying the conversations and I hope I'm not upsetting anyone.
You're fine

At your level you will find all kinds of referees -- guys who go strictly by the rule/case book, guys who are lax and let anything go, and guys somewhere in the middle. As you coach at higher levels you will encounter better referees (hopefully), the wheat separated from the chaff. At your level it's more like the Wild West.

To be honest I'm not totally sure what constitutes an authorized reason to leave the court versus an unauthorized one. The case book tells us certain things are unauthorized reasons, but I would prefer a list in the rule book. I guess if it's not specified in the case book then it is up to our (hopefully) good judgement.