The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule Question for the gurus (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99105-rule-question-gurus.html)

big jake Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:28pm

Rule Question for the gurus

After a made basket ot FT can a player taking the ball out of bonds dribble the ball?:eek::mad::(:D:cool:

mrroberts Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:42pm

I would say no and that once a player has it at their disposal and it touches out of bounds, it would then be dead with an out of bounds violation and you would award the ball to the other team.

jTheUmp Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 951290)
I would say no and that once a player has it at their disposal and it touches out of bounds, it would then be dead with an out of bounds violation and you would award the ball to the other team.

And you would be wrong.

deecee Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:44pm

Quote:

I would say incorrect, wrong, way off.

mrroberts Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:45pm

So it's legal to dribble the ball while standing out of bounds after a made basket?

so cal lurker Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 951293)
So it's legal to dribble the ball while standing out of bounds after a made basket?

What rule would make it impermissible?

mrroberts Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 951294)
What rule would make it impermissible?

Can a player make a bounce pass after a made basket that hits out of bounds before going into play?

How would that play be different than a player dribbling the ball?

Look I'm not saying I'm right but if above is an infraction how is it legal to dribble the ball out of bounds?

JRutledge Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 951297)
Can a player make a bounce pass after a made basket that hits out of bounds before going into play?

How would that play be different than a player dribbling the ball?

Look I'm not saying I'm right but if above is an infraction how is it legal to dribble the ball out of bounds?

You are asking a different question. You have to pass the ball directly onto the court on all throw-ins (except on a throw-in after a made/awarded basket) either in the air or by not hitting the floor.

A dribble is you not throwing a pass onto the court. That is how it is different.

Nothing illegal unless the dribble touches the inbounds area and then the thrower touches the ball again while out of bounds (or is the first to touch inbounds).

Peace

Rob1968 Tue Jan 20, 2015 03:15pm

Basketball Rules Fundamentals

5. Neither the dribble nor the travel rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

Case Book play 9.2.2 SITUATION D: A1 dribbles the ball on the floor on the out-of-bounds area before making a throw-in. RULING: Legal, a player may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a thrwo-in.

La Rikardo Tue Jan 20, 2015 03:26pm

NFHS 9-2 and NCAA 9-5 outline the throw-in violations. None of these provisions forbid the thrower from dribbling the ball.

Adam Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 951293)

It's always legal for a thrower to bounce the ball out of bounds as long as it's not part of the throw-in pass.

If it's the throw-in pass, it can't bounce until it lands inbounds.
If it's a pass between OOB teammates, it can bounce.

I can't understand why people think this is illegal.

johnny d Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:16pm

Quote:

mrroberts not a guru!