The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball contact causes player control foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99099-ball-contact-causes-player-control-foul.html)

Chris Whitten Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:22pm

Ball contact causes player control foul?

Can contact by the ball cause a player control foul? Here's the play as it happened in a Girls Varsity game: A1 on a fast break attempts a lay up, however B1 has established legal guarding position. A1 crashes into B1 with the ball being the only point of contact to the torso of B1. The force of the contact displaces B1 and causes her to fall backward. Everything about it looks like an easy PC foul, except B1 is never contacted by A1.

MechanicGuy Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:31pm

Yes. PC.

AremRed Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:31pm

Enjoy this thread with 98 posts of goodness about this very topic.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 951196)
Yes. PC.

No. NC.

How's that? ;)

just another ref Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44am

Realistically, I find it difficult to imagine a player going for a layup extending the ball into the torso of the defender and it being the only point of contact. Having said that, the offensive player is holding the ball. He's responsible for where it goes and the displacement it causes.

PC

MechanicGuy Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 951206)
No. NC.

How's that? ;)

The responses in that thread are interesting. I understand that the rule literally doesn't disallow such action, but shit.

Do want to officiate a game where players are allowed to simply shove the defense out of the way as long as they use the ball to do so? Facing up in the post would be a lot more interesting.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:30am

Consider this: A1 secures a defensive rebound. B1 now grabs the ball in an attempt to steal it or cause a held ball. A1 pulls the ball from one side of his body across his chest to the other side. The force of this causes B1 to be pulled off balance as he attempts to hold on to the ball. He is unable to do so and ends up crashing to the floor at the feet of A1.

Would you penalizing A1 with a PC foul?

APG Tue Jan 20, 2015 05:39am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cmYZPfps0T0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 951231)
Consider this: A1 secures a defensive rebound. B1 now grabs the ball in an attempt to steal it or cause a held ball. A1 pulls the ball from one side of his body across his chest to the other side. The force of this causes B1 to be pulled off balance as he attempts to hold on to the ball. He is unable to do so and ends up crashing to the floor at the feet of A1.

Would you penalizing A1 with a PC foul?

Sounds like a held ball to me. And the play you describe here bears no resemblance to the OP.

Adam Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 951210)
The responses in that thread are interesting. I understand that the rule literally doesn't disallow such action, but shit.

Do want to officiate a game where players are allowed to simply shove the defense out of the way as long as they use the ball to do so? Facing up in the post would be a lot more interesting.

Pretty sure the defense would figure out how to steal the ball in this case.

That said, I'll call this a PC just as if the only contact was with A1's shirt.

Welpe Tue Jan 20, 2015 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 951233)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cmYZPfps0T0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That ALMOST reminds me of this play I had a few years ago:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tentional.html

Raymond Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 951206)
No. NC.

How's that? ;)

You and I are on a role of agreement lately.

Raymond Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 951210)

It would actually have to be something that happens for me to worry about it.

I did, however, call a tech on a player for purposely bopping an opponent on top of the head with the basketball.

BillyMac Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:44pm

Good Example ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 951317)
I did, however, call a tech on a player for purposely bopping an opponent on top of the head with the basketball.

Good example of "ball to opponent contact" during a live ball as being a technical noncontact foul, not a personal contact foul.