The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul or Held Ball? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99086-foul-held-ball-video.html)

APG Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:35am

Foul or Held Ball? (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LwlCWKlcCYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:41am

No foul, held ball.

VaTerp Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:43am

Held ball.

JeffM Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44am

Held ball

BigCat Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55am

i read too much. dont see too well. having said that, it looked to me like he got all wrist and not much ball. foul

VaTerp Sun Jan 18, 2015 01:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 950767)
i read too much. dont see too well. having said that, it looked to me like he got all wrist and not much ball. foul

You are right about that. The defender is on the ball.

Even if thats hard to see in real time, the way the play develops indicates that as well. If the defender got all wrist, the ball is likely going to come loose at some point, which does not happen.

This looks fairly clear to me. If one was going to call a foul here it would seem to me it would come from them thinking there was body contact initiated by the defender coming toward the offense. I don't see that either but up top is clean.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 18, 2015 01:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 950758)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LwlCWKlcCYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a pushing foul by B33 against W5. B33 jumps forward into W5 after W5 goes airborne and makes full body contact with B33.

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Sun Jan 18, 2015 01:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 950769)
You are right about that. The defender is on the ball.

Even if thats hard to see in real time, the way the play develops indicates that as well. If the defender got all wrist, the ball is likely going to come loose at some point, which does not happen.

This looks fairly clear to me. If one was going to call a foul here it would seem to me it would come from them thinking there was body contact initiated by the defender coming toward the offense. I don't see that either but up top is clean.

we will agree to disagree. the offense goes up with two hands and actually moves ball a bit. defense comes across wrist and i dont think he ever touches ball. offense going up hard and just holding on to ball. i thought that on first view and think even more on the slow shots. again, we will agree to disagree. i dont have any problem with the body here either.

VaTerp Sun Jan 18, 2015 01:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 950774)
we will agree to disagree. the offense goes up with two hands and actually moves ball a bit. defense comes across wrist and i dont think he ever touches ball. offense going up hard and just holding on to ball. i thought that on first view and think even more on the slow shots. again, we will agree to disagree. i dont have any problem with the body here either.

We can agree to disagree but I think the 0:16 and 0:17 clearly show the defender hitting the ball. And the contact up top, if any, is on the hand not the wrist, which we all know is part of the ball.

BigCat Sun Jan 18, 2015 02:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 950778)
We can agree to disagree but I think the 0:16 and 0:17 clearly show the defender hitting the ball. And the contact up top, if any, is on the hand not the wrist, which we all know is part of the ball.

i see wrist to wrist contact. defender finger tips pointed to sky when i see contact between wrists. just not seeing hand to ball or hand to hand on ball contact. its late, im tired....and it is a small square im looking at...i'll try again in the morning. thx

Camron Rust Sun Jan 18, 2015 03:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 950781)
i see wrist to wrist contact. defender finger tips pointed to sky when i see contact between wrists. just not seeing hand to ball or hand to hand on ball contact. its late, im tired....and it is a small square im looking at...i'll try again in the morning. thx

Doesn't really matter if the defender is vertical...which is pretty much what you just said. Contact with the wrist in the defender's vertical plane isn't a foul on the defender since the defender is in a legal position if their arms are raised above their head from LGP. And i believe the defender easily had LGP and jumped vertically within his plane and raised his arms in that plane. They only came out of the plan after they came together and the shot was stopped.

Raymond Sun Jan 18, 2015 09:13am

Good defensive play... held ball

Lcubed48 Sun Jan 18, 2015 02:43pm

And the call was...?

I've got a held ball because I don't see where the defender did anything wrong. AND, the actual call was? :)

APG Sun Jan 18, 2015 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 950913)
I've got a held ball because I don't see where the defender did anything wrong. AND, the actual call was? :)

The lead had a foul on the play.

JRutledge Sun Jan 18, 2015 04:58pm

This is clearly a held ball to me. I seem contact with the ball and some wrist contact that was after the block attempt.

Peace