The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iowa State/Baylor end of game (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99061-iowa-state-baylor-end-game-video.html)

Johnny Ringo Thu Jan 15, 2015 09:57am

Iowa State/Baylor end of game (Video)

Did anyone see Baylor's go ahead basket inside 10 seconds to play?

Offensive foul?

APG Sun Jan 18, 2015 03:48am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AWx_OZynyjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Sun Jan 18, 2015 04:41am

Yes, he pushed off. Often not called, but he did do it.

AremRed Sun Jan 18, 2015 05:44am

PC, although probably marginal at that level.

Raymond Sun Jan 18, 2015 09:21am

That was a push off.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:29am

T might have been straight-lined, but C was looking right at it.

Takes a lot of guts to make that call. Probably was a PC.

Rob1968 Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:44pm

In such situations, I judge whether the "touch" is just that, or if it rises to the level of a "push." The momentum of the defender in the same direction that he was already moving is often the key.
Although it's rarely possible to do so at the moment that one must judge the contact to be a foul or a no-call, when viewing a video I try to assess whether the same contact coming from the defender to the ballhandler would merit a foul call. And I try to envision that contact as if I were in the position of the official.

In this video, I would have a no-call.

La Rikardo Mon Jan 19, 2015 02:17am

Hard to tell based on the camera angle in the video. My guess is that the contact is marginal.

Raymond Mon Jan 19, 2015 02:32am

IMO, that is a foul (similar to what WR's do to get open), but I'm not sure how many of us would call it in that situation.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 19, 2015 03:02am

Michael Jordan versus Bryon Russell at the end of the 1998 NBA Finals.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 19, 2015 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 951068)
Michael Jordan versus Bryon Russell at the end of the 1998 NBA Finals.

Yup! Was just thinking that.

Welpe Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 950832)
That was a push off.

Yep.

Rich Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 951017)
In such situations, I judge whether the "touch" is just that, or if it rises to the level of a "push." The momentum of the defender in the same direction that he was already moving is often the key.
Although it's rarely possible to do so at the moment that one must judge the contact to be a foul or a no-call, when viewing a video I try to assess whether the same contact coming from the defender to the ballhandler would merit a foul call. And I try to envision that contact as if I were in the position of the official.

In this video, I would have a no-call.

The arm moved in that direction, but it's really freaking hard to decide if that arm caused that movement by the defender or whether he just couldn't stop his momentum.

No call from here, too.

mrroberts Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:35am

I think it's a good no call. No doubt the Baylor player extended his arm but I just don't see enough contact to justify a call.

twocentsworth Mon Jan 19, 2015 04:14pm

That is not a PC foul...the fact that the shooter had his hand/arm out prior to stepping back doesn't make it a foul. The contact was very marginal and the defender fell backwards because he lost his balance on his own rather than the result of a push off....