The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 01:23am
Back from the DL

Any video with the title "Best/Worst (X) Ever" needs to be taken with the entire salt mine.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:29am
Administrator

It was difficult from the video to really tell if Gold was fouled by White. If there really was contact between Gold and White then it would have been a Charge by White.

BUT!! What in the Sam Hill was the L doing in the middle of the FT Lane Extended directly under the Basket. That is a major NO NO!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:37am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
What Facebook group btw... I have been looking for a good officiating group on there.
'Good' might be debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
There was a major carry at the division line.
Yes I am sure that is what the coach is screaming about after this play.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Flop? Really?

I don't see how this is anything but a PC foul. Defense establishes LGP, feet are still as can be, maybe leans back a little before contact but doesn't move forward, and takes the contact in the torso. Maybe he tried to sell it a little (or a lot), which may be why he didn't get the call.

If you aren't sold that there was contact, watch the video again and focus on the offensive player. His momentum and direction change as he tries to go around the defense. He bounces backward, proving there was contact, which was initiated by the offensive player.

L may have had a tough view to make the call... 1) because it is 2-man, and 2) because he's directly under the basket!

Last edited by griblets; Wed Jan 14, 2015 at 01:16pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the thought that this was a player control foul. However, if you are in the group that says it is nothing, how do you not call the travel before the shot? The offensive player jumped into the defensive player and then his right foot lands before he shoots.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 08:28am
Courageous When Prudent

I have a PC foul. The Lead has pinched way too much, to the point that he is a couple steps into the paint and has straight-lined himself to the contact.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

PC foul, most likely. The defender does flop and the angle makes it difficult to tell just how much the offensive player got him vs. how much of it was a flop. One thing is for sure, however, it was NOT a block.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Any video with the title "Best/Worst (X) Ever" needs to be taken with the entire salt mine.
This!

It looks to me like there is enough contact for a PC call, but it's hard to tell from that angle. I've got no problem with a no call here either as the defender clearly exaggerated contact. Lead would have had a better angle than in the video to tell how much contact there really was and how much was the defender exaggerating the contact.

I don't think the defender did anything to lose LGP so I would not agree with a block and certainly not a T for faking. There is a difference between faking being fouled and exaggerating contact.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:45am
AremRed

Player control. Defender establishes and maintains LGP and I think the offensive player initiates the contact and goes through the defenders space. Exaggeration ≠ no foul.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
If you aren't sold that there was contact, watch the video again and focus on the offensive player.
I don't see anyone suggesting there was no contact. But contact, in and of itself, does not mean there was a foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
I agree with the thought that this was a player control foul. However, if you are in the group that says it is nothing, how do you not call the travel before the shot? The offensive player jumped into the defensive player and then his right foot lands before he shoots.
Please explain how you determined there was a travel here. What you described has nothing to do with the elements of a traveling violation.

As for the play, my initial reaction was nothing. After several replays I could be convinced it was a PC but its really difficult to judge by the camera angle.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:24pm

PC if anything.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

PC all the way! Not a flop by the defender, he embellished the contact but there was still enough contact to displace him. The offensive player's balance was disrupted by the contact he initiated. Punch it!