Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This.

We get the captains at 12:00. By 11:30, I'm on my way to the table.

We start walking over to the visiting coach about 1:45. No formal coaches meeting here other than asking if their players are legally attired/equipped.
This is pretty much how it works in WA State as well. Head Coach is required to verify that players are legally equipped. In a recent GV game with a coach who is known to be anti social (he goes to the far end of the bench when we come over) I told one of the captains that we need him to answer a question for us and asked her to go get him for us. There is no way we are walking down to the far end of the court to get his response.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I have pretty much discontinued this. If they are illegally equipped, such as a weird color undershirt or whatever, then there is not penalty for the head coach, even if he says yes, and regardless of their answer I'm sending the player out of the game to fix the problem.
Actually, there is. It is direct technical foul to the head coach. Rule 10-5-4.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Actually, there is. It is direct technical foul to the head coach. Rule 10-5-4.
That rule has to do with illegal uniforms, not undeshirts/tights/leg or arm sleeves.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Of Connecticut, Not Just My Little Corner ...

Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00:
Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly,
Practice good sportsmanship.

Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC (state interscholastic sports governing body).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:46pm
Official & Member

State mandated coaches & captains meeting at 12:00. If the HC sends an assistant, we interpret THAT person to be the HC for the game and that individual is the only one allowed to use the coaching box. Every couple years we come across a coach that tries to be cute and send an assistant. Once (s)he is reminded of the rule, they get cooperative quickly.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Players only

Glad we don't do this. Captains only at about the 8:00 minute mark. Sometimes I wish we would get rid of that too. They seldom listen, coaches usually choose random kids, and I know they don't go back and tell their coaches or team mates what we said so its probably not worth the trouble.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Read this today, had it happen tonight. Guy coached GV and BV so not a snub but we did need to decide how to proceed since there is no rule book directive other than head coach must be at meeting...
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 10:29am
Stubborn Member

This is how we do it in central Ohio (slight differences from here, but mainly the same)...

1. Get the captains together at 18:00
-I usually say something along the lines of... "Who is the captain? You're the one that we'll go to if we need to relay information to your team, and vice versa. Now... nobody came to see us (the officials). You're representing yourselves, your team mates, coaches, school, and parents. So go out there and play hard, show good sportsmanship, and have a great game." Sometimes I'll point out all the kids in the gym and let the players know that those kids look up to them, so set a good example. Pump 'em up a little bit while reminding them to show good sportsmanship and play hard.

2. Check the book at 12:00
-introduce myself to scorers and timer, check that rosters and starters have been presented to the head scorekeeper, sign book (I'll initial the book after the last player written, so I can tell if somebody's been added), check equipment, and go over any special instructions (two horns for a TO, pre-game ceremonies, etc).

3. Meet with coaches at 2:30
-I skip the whole "is everybody legally and properly equipped", as it doesn't matter if they say "yes" or "no". I go over the coach's box, let me know about a 30 or full TO (or if you're in a hurry have an assistant let me know the type of TO you want), and any special instructions (last night they had an issue in the JV game where players would check-in at the corner of the table instead of going to the head scorekeeper, so I had to make sure the coach told his players to go to the scorekeeper... the one wearing the striped shirt).
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 02:33am
AremRed

Can someone explain to me why they would ever check the book before 10:00?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
So that any issue can be remedied before the clock gets to 10:00.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 04:21am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
For the same reason we count the number of players after a time out.