The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

In the 2001 NCAA rule book, the rules committee is suggesting that there be at least 10' of space between the sides of the court and the spectators. This is for all new gyms being built. The min requirment remains to be 3'.

Any thoughts on why the extra space on the side and not on the ends?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 03:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Two thoughts...1)the C and T need to have room to work off the court (not standing inbounds) and that's tough to do with only 3 feet of space...2)Moves the coaches and fans farther away from the actual playing surface...if a coach wants to say something to an official, more people will hear it and know why the T is being given...actually a third thought - most loose ball/dive for the ball situations take place on the sidelines, and how many times have you seen players have to jump over tables, chairs, sitting people, etc. to keep from being injured...
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 03:17pm
In Memoriam

chairs

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
In the 2001 NCAA rule book, the rules committee is suggesting that there be at least 10' of space between the sides of the court and the spectators. This is for all new gyms being built. The min requirment remains to be 3'.

Any thoughts on why the extra space on the side and not on the ends?
hoopsrefBC
10' would be awesome! Then the teams could get two more rows of folding chairs up against the sideline, and a sideline throw-in would still hafta be at midcourt.
No idea about your question, though.
mick
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The Air Force academy has that kind of spacing around the floor. It is an awesome place to work. I wish more gyms had it.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
The Air Force academy has that kind of spacing around the floor. It is an awesome place to work. I wish more gyms had it.
So does Vanderbilt and either Purdue or Iowa. I can remember which. I bet mick knows.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2000, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
So does Vanderbilt and either Purdue or Iowa. I can remember which. I bet mick knows.
I think that its Purdue, where the seats are at a lowere level then the playing court.
SH