The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Texas vs Texas tech (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98966-texas-vs-texas-tech-video.html)

Texref Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:07pm

Texas vs Texas tech (Video)

Player jumps and starts his dribble. About 5:10 in the first half. No call on floor, looks like an easy travel call.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:13am

Probably was by your description. But that's one of those calls that's so unusual that even a good official probably sees it, says, "ooh" to himself, and freezes just long enough to swallow his whistle, knowing that it probably should have been a travel. Chances are the crew didn't pre-game it, so it just wasn't on the officials' radar. I'm sure it was after that.

I liken this to pressure in the backcourt when a dribbler picks up his dribble, gets trapped, and then in desperation flings the ball out of the scrum and it glances off the opponent's backboard. Illegal dribble by the book. But in seven years how many times have I seen this? Zero! So when it happens, it'll be unexpected and there's a possibility I'll choke on the call.

BillyMac Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:52pm

Where She'll Stop, Nobody Knows ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 948606)
... pressure in the backcourt when a dribbler picks up his dribble, gets trapped, and then in desperation flings the ball out of the scrum and it glances off the opponent's backboard. Illegal dribble by the book.

It is? By what book? It's not an illegal dribble until the same player touches it again, without another player touching it. Liken it to the front end of a bounce pass.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 04, 2015 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 948619)
It is? By what book? It's not an illegal dribble until the same player touches it again, without another player touching it. Liken it to the front end of a bounce pass.

You're right. I meant if the player was first to touch it after the fact. Should have been more clear.

See case 4.15.4 Situation C(a).

I'll still probably choke when it happens. :D

BillyMac Sun Jan 04, 2015 03:39pm

Heimlich Maneuver ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 948623)
I'll still probably choke when it happens.

No way. You seem to have a pretty good handle on this situation.

APG Sun Jan 18, 2015 07:10am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qNJFbI3srhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Sun Jan 18, 2015 09:43am

Yes, a missed travel. Also the first player with the ball travelled.

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:04am

Yeah, check out the head nods of the strong side C (technically the new T). During the leap and dribble he wasn't looking at the floor. Then he did, and probably thought to himself, "damn, I think I kicked that one."

JRutledge Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:53pm

Big time missed travel. I am surprised this was missed.

Peace