The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
questions from a non-official

NCAA - seen on TV, not live

(A ) Team X shoots & misses. Scramble for rebound, including 2 or 3 bodies on floor.
Team Y ends up with ball, goes to other end of court and makes a shot.

(B) Officials then stop play because a Team X player (X1) is still lying on the floor at Team X's offensive end.
They check monitors and determine that in the above rebound scramble, a Team Y player kicked the Team X player (X1) in the shin.
(replayed several times by me, looked like just rolling over)

(C) It is called a flagrant 1, the kicked player (X1) shoots 2 free throws and Team X gets possession at the Team Y offensive end, where play was stopped.

Questions
1) Should the Team Y basket in (A) be disallowed because it was scored after the foul?

2) Should the Team X possession be determined by the foul location, not the stoppage location?

(D) Before the free throws in (C), a different player (X2) goes to the line and makes a free throw. Team Y then insists it be the fouled player (X1) and the officials remove the point and conduct the proper free throws. The Team X coach says he can sub for the “injured” player (X1), but the officials see X1 walking around and appearing fit to play.

Questions
3) Should the X2 free throw be called a technical?
4) Does question 3 depend on whether the X2 player was already in the game?

Thanks!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. No.
2. Play is resumed from where it was interrupted, X's throw in following Y's basket.
3. The only time we call a T is if we know for sure X2 intentionally took a FT to which he wasn't entitled. If there's any chance he thought it was a technical, or any other confusion, just do what they did.
4. No.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me kike the officials got it right.

The only possible issue is any "unsporting" substituting for the "injured" X1, but there's not a whole lot the officials can do for that.

Let me add that if this is NCAAM, then I think there's some rule that if a player is injured that the opposing coach can choose any of the remaining four players on the floor to shoot the FTs -- but I'm not sure if that applies to flagrant fouls.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Jan 04, 2015 at 01:59pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. no
2. offended team gets ball at place game stopped to review.
3. no T. i'm wondering, since X1 was still lying on the floor, did trainer or coach come out requiring him to leave game? If so he is unable to shoot because of injury....since the foul was flagrant his coach could send any player or team member to line to shoot....including X2.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 05:36pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Let me add that if this is NCAAM, then I think there's some rule that if a player is injured that the opposing coach can choose any of the remaining four players on the floor to shoot the FTs -- but I'm not sure if that applies to flagrant fouls.

You are correct, when the player is injured because of a flagrant foul, this rule does not apply.