The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mistaken substitution (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98930-mistaken-substitution.html)

La Rikardo Mon Dec 29, 2014 06:58am

Mistaken substitution

A6 and A7 report to the scorer that they are entering the game. A6 enters for A1. A7 enters and tells A2 he's entering the game for him. A's head coach then yells to A7 that he made a mistake and he doesn't want him to go in the game after all.

Was A2 officially replaced? Should A2 be directed to go to the bench and have to wait until the clock starts to go back in?

JetMetFan Mon Dec 29, 2014 07:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 948099)
A6 and A7 report to the scorer that they are entering the game. A6 enters for A1. A7 enters and tells A2 he's entering the game for him. A's head coach then yells to A7 that he made a mistake and he doesn't want him to go in the game after all.

Was A2 officially replaced? Should A2 be directed to go to the bench and have to wait until the clock starts to go back in?

Well, the subs become players - in part - when they legally enter the court (3-3-3). Assuming A7 entered legally, i.e. was beckoned, A2 is out.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 29, 2014 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 948100)
Well, the subs become players - in part - when they legally enter the court (3-3-3). Assuming A7 entered legally, i.e. was beckoned, A2 is out.

Agreed, although the team could still have someone other than A2 come out.

Adam Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:31am

The question isn't really whether A7 can sit. The question is whether A2 has to sit.

PG_Ref Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:56am

Hmmm ... never really gave this scenario much thought. If A7 has been beckoned in and enters for A2, and now A2 is bench personnel, and then coach says he wants A7 out, then A8 needs to come in as sub (if indeed the coach wants A7 out). What a tangled web we weave ... or something like that.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:25am

In the Ancient Days, A6 and A7 would have to declare to the Scorer which player each would be replacing, unlike today which requires A6 and A7 to just report to the Scorer and then replace any of the five players on the court.

MTD, Sr.

billyu2 Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 948111)
In the Ancient Days, A6 and A7 would have to declare to the Scorer which player each would be replacing, unlike today which requires A6 and A7 to just report to the Scorer and then replace any of the five players on the court.

MTD, Sr.

That's correct alright. So, as Bob said, A2 doesn't necessarily have to come out but somebody does. And, as PG Ref said, A7 could be substituted for if the coach decided he didn't want him in there.

Adam Mon Dec 29, 2014 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 948114)
That's correct alright. So, as Bob said, A2 doesn't necessarily have to come out but somebody does. And, as PG Ref said, A7 could be substituted for if the coach decided he didn't want him in there.

If I don't know who A7 reported for and the coach pulls him back before I find out, I'm not forcing a sub here. Once A7 tells A2, though, now A2 has been replaced. Coach doesn't have to play A7, but at that point A2 needs to wait for the clock to properly run.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 29, 2014 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 948120)
If I don't know who A7 reported for and the coach pulls him back before I find out, I'm not forcing a sub here. Once A7 tells A2, though, now A2 has been replaced. Coach doesn't have to play A7, but at that point A2 needs to wait for the clock to properly run.

I've had cases where A6 comes in and yells "Billy, you're out" and the coach says "no, not Billy. I sent you in for Jimmy."

Jimmy leaves, Billy stays, no problem.

Now, if Billy gets off the court ...

If we keep this up we'll have the whole volleyball / soccer scenario of doing the exchange just to avoid problems.

Adam Mon Dec 29, 2014 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 948121)
I've had cases where A6 comes in and yells "Billy, you're out" and the coach says "no, not Billy. I sent you in for Jimmy."

Jimmy leaves, Billy stays, no problem.

Now, if Billy gets off the court ...

If we keep this up we'll have the whole volleyball / soccer scenario of doing the exchange just to avoid problems.

Good point. If Coach says, "Never mind, Robby, get back here," what do you do?

BillyMac Mon Dec 29, 2014 05:44pm

A Mere Thirteen Years Ago ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 948111)

The change actually wasn't that long ago (in Mark Padgett years).

2000-2001: 3-3-1: A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorer, giving his/her number and the number of the player who is being replaced.

2001-2002: 3-3-1: A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorer, giving his/her number.

billyu2 Mon Dec 29, 2014 06:58pm

Crafty coaches

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 948120)

FWIW, here is why that is not a good idea: Had a coach who, while his team was shooting a free throw would have A7 report and following the made free throw A7 was brought in. The coach would immediately change his mind and ask for A7 to return to the bench. In the meantime, of course, Team A had plenty of time to set up their press. The coach really didn't want anyone to come out. Fortunately, the officials recognized that crap very quickly and told the coach A7 is in. Someone HAS to come out.

La Rikardo Mon Dec 29, 2014 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 948139)
FWIW, here is why that is not a good idea: Had a coach who, while his team was shooting a free throw would have A7 report and following the made free throw A7 was brought in. The coach would immediately change his mind and ask for A7 to return to the bench. In the meantime, of course, Team A had plenty of time to set up their press. The coach really didn't want anyone to come out. Fortunately, the officials recognized that crap very quickly and told the coach A7 is in. Someone HAS to come out.

I agree with most of the comments that by rule in my original situation, an A player must leave the game (I don't think it has to be A2) and I think your situation is a good example of why the rule is the way it is. But also in my original situation, A was bringing in A6 anyway, so the officials are going to keep the ball from becoming live regardless of whether or not a player must leave the game. Is there a common sense explanation as to why, in my original situation, I'm telling A's coach that one of his player has to leave the game? I'm fully supportive of enforcing the rule to the letter here, I'd just want something to say to a coach beyond "that's the rule, sorry."

billyu2 Mon Dec 29, 2014 08:05pm

be specific

[QUOTE=La Rikardo;948140]I agree with most of the comments that by rule in my original situation, an A player must leave the game (I don't think it has to be A2) and I think your situation is a good example of why the rule is the way it is. But also in my original situation, A was bringing in A6 anyway, so the officials are going to keep the ball from becoming live regardless of whether or not a player must leave the game. Is there a common sense explanation as to why, in my original situation, I'm telling A's coach that one of his player has to leave the game? I'm fully supportive of enforcing the rule to the letter here, I'd just want something to say to a coach beyond "that's the rule, sorry."[/QUOTE]
Well I guess you could be more specific and say "once we brought in A7 he became a player so someone has to come out." If you want you can add "A7 doesn't have to play if you want to send in a sub for him."

Rich1 Mon Dec 29, 2014 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 948140)
I'd just want something to say to a coach beyond "that's the rule, sorry."

What else is there to say? By rule, once A7 is on the court to replace A2 then A7 is now a player, A2 is now bench personnel, and A2 must sit a tick before reentering the game. I would all some leeway if the coach is changing his mind quickly or if A7 obviously said the wrong number but once A2 is on his way to the bench and the intent is clear then A2 is sitting. However it gets explained to the coach is fine with me as long as it takes very little time to do it.