The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   KY vs Louisville (Video Request) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98922-ky-vs-louisville-video-request.html)

grunewar Sat Dec 27, 2014 02:49pm

KY vs Louisville (Video Request)

4:41 of the first half. Elbow to the head (blood drawn) - no call.....and the announcers liked it! :rolleyes:

So far, a very low scoring, defensive game.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Dec 27, 2014 03:34pm

Watching that play, both live as well as the replays, I don't see how the guy ended up bleeding. It looked like he barely grazed the eye with the inside corner of is elbow.

Camron Rust Sat Dec 27, 2014 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 947962)
Watching that play, both live as well as the replays, I don't see how the guy ended up bleeding. It looked like he barely grazed the eye with the inside corner of is elbow.

That is how he ended up bleeding. It doesn't take a lot of contact between the hard bony elbow and the bony eye socket. I gave a guy a few stitches several years ago on a similar play. I didn't even realize I had hit him but he was split open pretty good.

BillyMac Sat Dec 27, 2014 08:55pm

Blood, Lots, And Lots, Of Blood ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 947968)
It doesn't take a lot of contact between the hard bony elbow and the bony eye socket. I gave a guy a few stitches several years ago on a similar play. I didn't even realize I had hit him but he was split open pretty good.

I received several injuries like this back in my high school days. It got to the point where I was taking out my own stitches to save me the trips back to the emergency room, or doctor. I still have the scars today.

AremRed Sun Dec 28, 2014 02:20am

My thoughts: This game was absurd at times. From the opening tip it seemed like the officials were hesitant to give Harrell his first foul for anything; I counted 3 or 4 times in the first ten minutes where I thought he fouled but went uncalled. The hand checking and amount of physicality allowed were also absurd -- I thought basketball was supposed to be a finesse game too, not players bludgeoning each other in the paint.

I could tell Louisville #3 was a flopper from the first half where he threw his head back whenever he was closely guarded and fell down on almost every rebound. It didn't surprise me when the camera caught him flopping red-handed like a biatch. I was very disappointed he didn't pick up two quick fouls after that.

Karl Hess refusing to switch at 12:28 second half was funny, as were all of Bilas' comments. I was hoping he would shut up when he mis-predicted the elbow review going to a flagrant 1, but I guess that would be asking too much.

AremRed Sun Dec 28, 2014 04:00am

I also loved: 1) Karl Hess channeling Winston Churchill with his whistle/stogie, 2) Hess ignoring the "whistle before end line throw-ins" thing we talked about the other day and 3) the officials apparently ignoring the "two players on the floor needs a call" rule. Fun stuff!

JetMetFan Sun Dec 28, 2014 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 947987)
The hand checking and amount of physicality allowed were also absurd -- I thought basketball was supposed to be a finesse game too, not players bludgeoning each other in the paint.

I had the same thought, maybe not "absurd" but I definitely had a few "Gee, it sure seems like something illegal just happened" moments. Let's just say freedom of movement was at a premium and it wasn't always because Player A was faster than Player B.