The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down New Case Play with incorrect ruling! 2014-15

Anyone else notice this new case play ruling?

4.14.1 SITUATION D: A1 is fouled by B1 while Team A is in double bonus. In frustration A1 pushes B1 after the ball becomes dead. A1 is assessed a technical foul. A1 successfully makes both free throws for the personal foul assessed to B1. B3 is ready to attempt the free throw for the technical foul by A1. The official scorer notifies the officials that the technical foul on A1 was his/her fifth. RULING: Officials notify the Team A coach and A1 of the disqualification and allow a substitute for A1. A correctable error has occurred by allowing the wrong player (A1) to attempt the free throws for the personal foul and has been discovered within the timeframe to correct. The free throws by A1 are cancelled and A1’s substitute shall attempt the free throws for the personal foul against A1 followed by the attempts by Team B for the technical foul. (2-10-1c, 4-14-1)
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

4.14.1 SITUATION D: A1 is fouled by B1 while Team A is in double bonus. In frustration A1 pushes B1 after the ball becomes dead. A1 is assessed a technical foul. A1 successfully makes both free throws for the personal foul assessed to B1. B3 is ready to attempt the free throw for the technical foul by A1. The official scorer notifies the officials that the technical foul on A1 was his/her fifth. RULING: Officials notify the Team A coach and A1 of the disqualification and allow a substitute for A1. A correctable error has occurred by allowing the wrong player (A1) to attempt the free throws for the personal foul and has been discovered within the timeframe to correct. The free throws by A1 are cancelled and A1’s substitute shall attempt the free throws for the personal foul against A1 followed by the attempts by Team B for the technical foul. (2-10-1c, 4-14-1)
When the NFHS issued their corrections before the season, this caseplay was one that was corrected. Shame on you for not noting it in your rule book ...

Page 29, 4.14.1D SITUATION, RULING Correction: Officials notify the Team A coach of the disqualification and allow a substitute for A1. The points made by A1 will stand. B3 is allowed to shoot the free throws for the technical foul and Team B is given the ball at half court to continue the game. (4-14-2; 2-11-5 Note)
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

yes, player in game is still a player...even if he shouldnt be...not correctable error. i thought i saw a correction come through already. i thought i saw this play first in the case interp. then they fixed it and removed it. maybe not.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
When the NFHS issued their corrections before the season, this caseplay was one that was corrected. Shame on you for not noting it in your rule book ...

Page 29, 4.14.1D SITUATION, RULING Correction: Officials notify the Team A coach of the disqualification and allow a substitute for A1. The points made by A1 will stand. B3 is allowed to shoot the free throws for the technical foul and Team B is given the ball at half court to continue the game. (4-14-2; 2-11-5 Note)
Thanks, I'll go look at the corrections again. Irks me that someone with the NFHS would write such a ruling at all.

Here is the prior interp for this situation:
2000-2001 BASKETBALL INTERPRETATIONS
SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)
SITUATION 6: Al is fouled and Team A is in the bonus. Before Al attempts the one-and-one, Al is whistled for a technical foul for taunting. Al goes to the free-throw line to attempt the one-and-one with no players lined up. Al makes the first free throw, then the horn sounds and the scorer indicates that Al’s technical foul was the fifth foul on Al. RULING: The result of Al’s first free throw shall stand and Al’s replacement shall attempt the remaining free throw (if the first was successful), before Team B shoots its technical foul free throws. COMMENT: This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw. Al was not officially disqualified until the coach was notified. (3-3-3; 4-14-2; 2-8-3; 2-10-lc)
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty sure it was discussed when it came out (and maybe again when the correction came out). I do recognize that Nevada was AWOL for awhile during this time.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

PS I don't have a physical copy of the current Case Book. My group didn't distribute them this year. I'm working from the online version, so I wasn't able to note the NFHS correction. I'll see if I can obtain a hard copy.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

You're slippin' Nevada.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 10:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pray Tell ...

Quote:
I'm working from the online version ...
What online version?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 19, 2014, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What online version?
The casebook you can access through Arbiter if you're a member... same as the rulebook access through Arbiter.