The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Body Language Check (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98870-body-language-check.html)

bainsey Thu Dec 18, 2014 01:06am

Body Language Check

MS doubleheader today, working with a new, young partner. The first (boys) game started 36-0 and finished 68-13. The losing (visiting) coach was very quiet; the winning (home) coach was anything but.

In the first few minutes, he was trying to buy calls. I was the T, near his bench. In the opposite corner, ball handler V-1 shuffled his feet, and Coach H called for a travel. Within a second, my partner called just that. (I doubt rabbit ears were involved.)

I calmly turned to Coach H and say, "Coach, we got this."
He responded, "Well, make the calls, then!"
I considered a T, but instead, offer a stern look, "Coach, not again!"
He doesn't complain the rest of the game.

Here's what I didn't know about myself. The A.D. (official timekeeper) spoke to us at halftime of the second (girls) and told me that, at the time I was considering the T, it showed. My two hands at my sides were starting to make the "T" signal, then quickly stopped. I didn't even realize I did that, and I'm glad he pointed it out. There's no way he was the only one who saw that.

There are a lot of things we don't see about ourselves. It makes you wonder what other non-verbal clues you send out.

(Side note: I had to get a T later, on H-12 for eye shielding, holding both hands two inches in front of a ball-handler V-2's face. Never saw that before, may never again.)

Stat-Man Thu Dec 18, 2014 01:34am

I'll admit to past instances where I was too anticipatory of a call and was set to signal a foul or held ball, only to have none. I'm sure anyone keying in on that body language wondered what was wrong with me. :o

I guess it's not as bad as my partner on Tuesday (MS Boys games) who granted a time-out to the V coach by forming a T with his hands :eek:. I was trying to figure out who earned a technical foul. Needless to say, I discreetly reminded him that what he called and signaled were two very different things.

constable Thu Dec 18, 2014 06:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 947289)
I'll admit to past instances where I was too anticipatory of a call and was set to signal a foul or held ball, only to have none. I'm sure anyone keying in on that body language wondered what was wrong with me. :o

I guess it's not as bad as my partner on Tuesday (MS Boys games) who granted a time-out to the V coach by forming a T with his hands :eek:. I was trying to figure out who earned a technical foul. Needless to say, I discreetly reminded him that what he called and signaled were two very different things

Perhaps your partner is a FIBA official???

dumbest signal ever.

Eastshire Thu Dec 18, 2014 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 947289)

I guess it's not as bad as my partner on Tuesday (MS Boys games) who granted a time-out to the V coach by forming a T with his hands :eek:. I was trying to figure out who earned a technical foul. Needless to say, I discreetly reminded him that what he called and signaled were two very different things.

Back when I used to do volleyball in the fall, I'd do this once or twice early in basketball season before I got all the signals changed in my mind.

Stat-Man Thu Dec 18, 2014 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 947291)
Perhaps your partner is a FIBA official???

Not a FIBA official, but a third year official that's a bit raw with his signals. I gave him what feedback I could, and he was receptive,

Kansas Ref Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:24pm

In that millisecond between when I see an imminent violation and actually pop my whistle, my focus is on allowing the action to "develop" to see if my expectation is verified, I'm sure fans have seen me suddenly semi raise my hand only to drop it as the play develops which likely leads them to self-ask "what is that man doing? The shakes?".

AremRed Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 947414)
Not a FIBA official, but a third year official that's a bit raw with his signals. I gave him what feedback I could, and he was receptive,

Third year?? I was about 20 minutes into my first official basketball game (5/6 C team CYO, St. Luke edged Christ the King 17-14 for those keeping score) before my partner told me to stop T'ing up the coaches when I was granting them a timeout. That's not raw that's still grazing in the pasture.

Perhaps he is also a volleyball official?

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32am

Had a partner tell me how angry I looked when a called a T a couple of summers ago.

biggravy Fri Dec 19, 2014 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 947451)
Had a partner tell me how angry I looked when a called a T a couple of summers ago.

In my first year or two I had to train myself my arms don't move until I pop my whistle. Now, still, facial expression is something I am working on. It's just another foul I tell myself, but I look pissed when I T up a coach.

Amesman Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:59am

Still hate the youthful impatience that occasionally leads to me using my rising hand to find an ear to scratch instead of whistling a halt to play. :(

grunewar Fri Dec 19, 2014 01:53pm

Yeperdoodle

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 947442)
I was about 20 minutes into my first official basketball game (5/6 C team CYO, St. Luke edged Christ the King 17-14 for those keeping score) before my partner told me to stop T'ing up the coaches when I was granting them a timeout. That's not raw that's still grazing in the pasture.

My first game ever, many yrs ago, Rec Ball, probably 10U as I recall, my P came over and said, "Why do you keep T'ing up the coach?" Me = :confused:

Rules Book? Case Book? Official's Manual? C'mon, I knew what I knew, and that was it.

j51969 Fri Dec 19, 2014 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 947288)
MS doubleheader today, working with a new, young partner. The first (boys) game started 36-0 and finished 68-13. The losing (visiting) coach was very quiet; the winning (home) coach was anything but.

In the first few minutes, he was trying to buy calls. I was the T, near his bench. In the opposite corner, ball handler V-1 shuffled his feet, and Coach H called for a travel. Within a second, my partner called just that. (I doubt rabbit ears were involved.)

Here's what I didn't know about myself. The A.D. (official timekeeper) spoke to us at halftime of the second (girls) and told me that, at the time I was considering the T, it showed. My two hands at my sides were starting to make the "T" signal, then quickly stopped. I didn't even realize I did that, and I'm glad he pointed it out. There's no way he was the only one who saw that.

There are a lot of things we don't see about ourselves. It makes you wonder what other non-verbal clues you send out.

(Side note: I had to get a T later, on H-12 for eye shielding, holding both hands two inches in front of a ball-handler V-2's face. Never saw that before, may never again.)

I get as much video as I can from the teams I officiate. Almost all schools video varsity contests. Some schools even share videos on sites like HUDL.com. You could also ask a friend to come and video you specifically. I get a lot of information like body language, posture, mechcanics, proper angles, and call accuracy. Having others chart fouls and give construtive critism is great, but no subsitiute for seeing it live.

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2014 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 947457)
In my first year or two I had to train myself my arms don't move until I pop my whistle. Now, still, facial expression is something I am working on. It's just another foul I tell myself, but I look pissed when I T up a coach.

I'm trying to T them up before I get pissed.

j51969 Fri Dec 19, 2014 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 947288)

Sometimes it may seem hard, but I am not getting upset over what any coach or player does during a game. If behavior warrants a technical foul it's generally not a surprise, even if they act like it afterwards. I am not taking any of this personally, nor do I have an emotional investment in the outcome (they do). It's a game and I choose to be there. Many of these alpha male types see us as a necessary evil anyway. I am not going to compound the situation by rising to their level. I am always efforting to bring them to mine. I don't engage in unnecessary conversation yet I am approachable. I am visibly fit and have a presence on the court without having to show it (maybe it’s the NCO in me). I have a smile on my face and probably seem to the casual observer like I want to be there (without the showboating). This is not a place you can arrive at when you first start officiating, but something to strive for. Most varsity contest’s are probably in the neighborhood of $70. If what you’re doing starts to feel like a job you either need to be making way more money, hang them up, or go coach:rolleyes:. JMO

Edited:

I wasn't speaking directly to you, but more in general. Just in case it came across like that.

Stat-Man Fri Dec 19, 2014 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 947442)
Third year?? I was about 20 minutes into my first official basketball game (5/6 C team CYO, St. Luke edged Christ the King 17-14 for those keeping score) before my partner told me to stop T'ing up the coaches when I was granting them a timeout. That's not raw that's still grazing in the pasture.

Perhaps he is also a volleyball official?

I think he might be, from what I remember when I looked him up on our state's on-line directory.