The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Selling a block/charge no-call

Under a minute left in a boys JV game, A has blown a double-digit lead in the second half and now trails by three. A1 makes a steal and goes on the fast break. B1 obtains LGP in front of the basket before A1 goes in for the layup. A1 moves to avoid B1, but still makes some contact and B1 falls hard and awkwardly to the floor. I decided not to call a foul and I'm confident in my decision. If I had called a foul it would've been PC on A1 -- B1 was certainly not guilty of a foul in my mind and A1 made an effort to avoid contact.

A's coach went crazy, yelling that I can't no-call here, that he just wanted a call one way or the other. With as hard as B1 hit the floor, I imagine that my lack of a whistle could come across as indecision. As some of you may know, my background is as a soccer referee, and when we make a big no-call we sometimes give a big NO! signal with the arms to let everyone know that we saw the contact and decided not to call a foul. Obviously this doesn't work so well in basketball, so does anyone have any tips to help sell a no-call in a situation like this?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 11:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

If it is an obvious call, just call the obvious. It sounds like (without seeing the play) like an easy PC foul. You would have at least shown you were calling the game until the end. No reason IMO to not just call a foul here if it clearly was a foul to everyone. Making other signals just makes it seem like you just do not want to call something most of the time.

I think we get in more trouble by not calling fouls than when we actually call fouls.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
A's coach went crazy, yelling that I can't no-call here, that he just wanted a call one way or the other.

Here was your chance to fix it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:35am
AremRed

Don't overthink it. When a player is setting up to try and draw a charge he wants a call to be made. Give him what he wants. He knows he is taking a risk, but the reward is getting a charge call. Unless the dribbler stops at contact (i.e. he doesn't go "through" the defender) you gotta call something.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it is an obvious call, just call the obvious. It sounds like (without seeing the play) like an easy PC foul. You would have at least shown you were calling the game until the end. No reason IMO to not just call a foul here if it clearly was a foul to everyone. Making other signals just makes it seem like you just do not want to call something most of the time.

I think we get in more trouble by not calling fouls than when we actually call fouls.

Peace
Like I said, the contact wasn't really that hard. I think it just looked bad because B1 fell awkwardly and hit the floor hard. In a close game like this I wanted to give A the benefit of the doubt, and with that in mind this just felt like a no-call. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do differently in the future to let everyone know that I clearly saw the contact and decided not to call a foul rather than not blowing my whistle because I was unsure.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Like I said, the contact wasn't really that hard. I think it just looked bad because B1 fell awkwardly and hit the floor hard. In a close game like this I wanted to give A the benefit of the doubt, and with that in mind this just felt like a no-call. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do differently in the future to let everyone know that I clearly saw the contact and decided not to call a foul rather than not blowing my whistle because I was unsure.
The contact does not have to be hard. But if the players were displaced, then call a foul. It will make your life so much easier even if they disagree with the call. At least you called something. And that is what you could have done differently without seeing a video. Not sure what you can do, because any signal is not going to make everyone happy. You call will make them happy or at least show you care in a kind of a game that is out of hand.

You never make everyone happy with no-calls anyway.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Flop signal

I have seen officials use a one hand palm upward motion to indicate a flop by the defense. In my mind it's a get your butt up off the floor - you ain't getting a PC call on that acting job signal. Personally, I do not use this unapproved signal and never will, it's way to showboatish for me.

There is no approved NFHS signal for a non-call in this situation. No whistle = no call.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you determined that the defender obtained ILGP and the offensive player initiated contact which displaced the defender, then you should have whistled a PC foul.

This may seem harsh, but I know that you can handle it. The rest of your comments are nothing more than an attempt to rationalize your not making this call. Not really that hard, fell awkwardly, give the player the benefit of the doubt, the game was close, last few seconds remaining, blah, blah, blah. Next time just blow the whistle.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 07:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Flip Flop ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKillian View Post
I have seen officials use a one hand palm upward motion to indicate a flop by the defense.
Do they follow it up with a technical foul signal?

10-3-6-F: A player shall not: Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: Faking being fouled
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 07:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Even If You Have To Guess ...

Quote:
B1 obtains LGP in front of the basket before A1 goes in for the layup. A1 moves to avoid B1, but still makes some contact and B1 falls hard and awkwardly to the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If you determined that the defender obtained ILGP and the offensive player initiated contact which displaced the defender, then you should have whistled a PC foul ... Next time just blow the whistle.
Train wrecks require a whistle.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Do they follow it up with a technical foul signal?

10-3-6-F: A player shall not: Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: Faking being fouled
To the OP:

The defense was in LGP. Offense intitiated contact. Defense was displaced/disadvantaged . . . whatever you want to call it. Unless you though the defender was falling hard on their own not because of the contact just call the PC.

To the quoted section above:

I feel like we've had this conversation before but falling (in my mind) does not equate to faking being fouled. Assuming there was contact. How the defense chooses to protect themselves or deal with that contact is on the defense. Even if a kid falls before contact they are allowed to back up and protect themselves in the case of contact. If them falling or stepping back causes them to avoid the contact all together they've protected themsevles but I can't call a PC because no contact occured.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a close game like this I wanted to give A the benefit of the doubt,
It seems to me that in a close game you wouldn't want to give either team the benefit of the doubt. In a blowout, you *might* give the losing team the benefit of the doubt.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If A1's contact is what knocked B1 to the floor, you need to call the foul regardless of how hard the contact was.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 12:57pm
Esteemed Participant

How exactly would one "sell" any kind of no-call?? Selling a call means to be overly demonstrative with the signal, and/or to be really loud...how can we sell something we don't even call?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2014, 01:00pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
In a close game like this I wanted to give A the benefit of the doubt, and with that in mind this just felt like a no-call.
Would you have called a charge in the first half?