The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kentucky-Belmont Women 2:40 left in game Continuous Motion (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98850-kentucky-belmont-women-2-40-left-game-continuous-motion-video.html)

ZonaZebra Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:45am

Kentucky-Belmont Women 2:40 left in game Continuous Motion (Video)
 
Continuous motion ???? Travel????

Thanks

I believe this was on the SEC Network

jeschmit Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:25pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5KFFZW4ZUjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:42pm

Looks good to me. She had picked up the ball about the same time as the contact.

Raymond Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57pm

On the Men's side, that would not be a shooting foul because upward motion had not started yet.

AremRed Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26am

Contact occurs before gather, no shot.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:30am

Try hadn't begun, in my opinion. "Before the shot."

TriggerMN Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35am

There's contact at all?

rockyroad Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN (Post 947016)
There's contact at all?

Sure doesn't look like it.

ZonaZebra Tue Dec 16, 2014 01:07pm

First, a big thanks to jeschmit for finding and posting the clip.

The reason I was interested in this clip is due to the fact that recently in my observations provided to me by certified officials they have commented on how they think I am too liberal with my continuation rulings.

I just happened to be flipping through games and by luck caught this play. I believe I would have made the same ruling, but was interested to see what others thought.

I believe there was also a follow up replay of this which showed the angle from the endline and it brought up another issue which you can't see too well from the currently posted clip. The issue concerns a potential travel. I would be interested in hearing other thoughts on this. If a player travels on a continuation play then the goal could not count, is that correct? Of course, the player would then be entitled to two free throws, right?

bob jenkins Tue Dec 16, 2014 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonaZebra (Post 947029)
If a player travels on a continuation play then the goal could not count, is that correct? Of course, the player would then be entitled to two free throws, right?

Yes. Yes.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 16, 2014 03:26pm

If there was contact, and I do mean IF, the contact was while White-3 was still dribbling. And if there was contact, and I do mean IF, I have a charge by White-3 against Blue-12.

MTD, Sr.


P.S. I do not wish it denigrate our members who are currently officiating women's college basketball, but please do not bring the LDB in to the discussion of this play, because I am getting ready to leave for a game and I currently do not have time to prove the ignorance of the people on the NCAA-W Rules Committee of the history and reasoning behind the definition of Guarding, who are trying to hoist a piece of horse manure upon the game of basketball.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Dec 16, 2014 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 947036)
...I currently do not have time to prove the ignorance of the people on the NCAA-W Rules Committee of the history and reasoning behind the definition of Guarding, who are trying to hoist a piece of horse manure upon the game of basketball.

Huh. Haven't been on much this season, but is this a thing that's come up a lot around here lately? Because, for the record, it came about before this season for NCAA-W, and originated in and was drawn from the NBA.

johnny d Tue Dec 16, 2014 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP (Post 947037)
Huh. Haven't been on much this season, but is this a thing that's come up a lot around here lately? Because, for the record, it came about before this season for NCAA-W, and originated in and was drawn from the NBA.


Don't worry about it. Sometimes MTD has a hard time refraining from editorializing while giving history lessons.

BillyMac Tue Dec 16, 2014 05:01pm

Edmund Burke ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 947038)
Sometimes MTD has a hard time refraining from editorializing while giving history lessons.

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it."

Raymond Tue Dec 16, 2014 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 947049)
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it."

History shouldn't be repeated if it's an outdated rule.

frezer11 Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonaZebra (Post 947029)
If a player travels on a continuation play then the goal could not count, is that correct? Of course, the player would then be entitled to two free throws, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 947031)
Yes. Yes.

While I do agree with your response, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a foul on a shot/drive which was followed by a travel and attempt, that got waved off, yet 2 free throws were awarded. I understand and agree with the intent of the rule, I'm just not sure I've ever seen, and I know I've never called it. Have you or anyone called this, or called it often??

bainsey Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:24am

Foxtrot, Lima, Oscar, Papa.

jeschmit Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:53am

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TmolqFC_oEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Wed Dec 17, 2014 01:11am

I still see a foul. I still don't see how you count the basket.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 17, 2014 02:37am

Blocking foul for really poor acting, no travel, and count the basket, plus award one FT as this gives the defender the maximum punishment.

Can you tell that I don't like attempts to deceive the officials?

Camron Rust Wed Dec 17, 2014 03:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 947073)
I still see a foul. I still don't see how you count the basket.

From this angle, it is much easier to tell. If you call that foul, you can not also award the shot.

just another ref Wed Dec 17, 2014 03:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 947076)
From this angle, it is much easier to tell. If you call that foul, you can not also award the shot.

agreed

Camron Rust Wed Dec 17, 2014 03:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 947065)
While I do agree with your response, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a foul on a shot/drive which was followed by a travel and attempt, that got waved off, yet 2 free throws were awarded. I understand and agree with the intent of the rule, I'm just not sure I've ever seen, and I know I've never called it. Have you or anyone called this, or called it often??

Yep...called it 2-3 times over 20+ years.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 17, 2014 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 947072)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TmolqFC_oEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


From that angle I see a block. But W3 was still dribbling the ball when the foul occured.

MTD, Sr.

Pantherdreams Wed Dec 17, 2014 08:20am

From the tape:

If its in may game its probably a no call and count the hoop.

If I am calling a foul its a block on the defender and ball out of bounds.

walt Wed Dec 17, 2014 08:59am

At full speed I see a block for the defender's left knee contact and reroute of the B/H. Also at full speed I thought she had not ended her dribble. She does catch it right after the contact so i can see why the continuation. IMHO, she had not completed the dribble and should have been ball out of bounds on the endline to white. I talked with one of the partners on the game and he told me they were all fine with the call. In fact they thought it was "an easy one" and were fine with the continuous motion ruling.

zm1283 Wed Dec 17, 2014 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 947073)
I still see a foul. I still don't see how you count the basket.

Same thing I thought when seeing that angle from the endline.

JRutledge Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:04am

I do not even see a foul. I see a flop that hardly resulted in any contact. The dribbler kept going and did not seem to be altered in any way because of the contact.

Peace


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1