The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Ruling on long sleeve shirts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98820-nfhs-ruling-long-sleeve-shirts.html)

Tio Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:15pm

NFHS Ruling on long sleeve shirts

I was observing a Boys HS varsity game last night and a player had a long-sleeve undershirt on.

What is the ruling on long sleeved shirts? What color restrictions are there?

The jersey was purple with a black undershirt. I asked the crew about this during the postgame evaluation and they did not seem to clearly understand the rule.

Adam Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:24pm

If it's a long sleeve undershirt, the rule is the same as for t-shirts. Predominant color of the jersey only.

Sharpshooternes Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 946397)
I was observing a Boys HS varsity game last night and a player had a long-sleeve undershirt on.

What is the ruling on long sleeved shirts? What color restrictions are there?

The jersey was purple with a black undershirt. I asked the crew about this during the postgame evaluation and they did not seem to clearly understand the rule.

Long sleeved shirts are allowed although they must be made of compression material. They must also match the dominant color of the jersey (ie white jersey needs white undershirt; black jersey requires black undershirt.) in your case as described it is illegal for color reasons.

I asked one of our varsity officials about illegal undershirts (red jersey, black undershirt)during a JV game between my soph. Game and his V game. He quoted to me the sleeve color rules. :eek: had to show him in the book. Not sure if he enforced it during his game as I had to leave.

RookieDude Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 946399)
I asked one of our varsity officials about illegal undershirts (red jersey, black undershirt)during a JV game between my soph. Game and his V game. He quoted to me the sleeve color rules. :eek: had to show him in the book.

It happened last night....

Long time Varsity Official was nit-picking with the AD on these announcer rules.

Since he was being a "stickler" on this...I asked him about the Undershirt Color Rule...

he confused it with sleeve color rule. :p

Camron Rust Wed Dec 10, 2014 06:25pm

Quote:

Long sleeved shirts are allowed although they must be made of compression material.

Where do you get that?

asdf Wed Dec 10, 2014 06:34pm

Quote:

Long sleeved shirts are allowed although they must be made of compression material. They must also match the dominant color of the jersey (ie white jersey needs white undershirt; black jersey requires black undershirt.) in your case as described it is illegal for color reasons.

I asked one of our varsity officials about illegal undershirts (red jersey, black undershirt)during a JV game between my soph. Game and his V game. He quoted to me the sleeve color rules. :eek: had to show him in the book. Not sure if he enforced it during his game as I had to leave.

If you are going to correct an official working at a higher level than you are, then you'd better be 100% correct.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2014 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 946406)
Where do you get that?

Perhaps that is the position of his state or local governing body. As you know, it is not an NFHS requirement.

JetMetFan Wed Dec 10, 2014 07:40pm

Quote:

Long sleeved shirts are allowed although they must be made of compression material.

This would be the NCAAW rule. The only state where it applies on the HS level -- unless some others have their own interpretation -- is girls' basketball in New York.