The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video plays from Gonzaga at AZ overtime (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98787-video-plays-gonzaga-az-overtime-video.html)

Nevadaref Sat Dec 06, 2014 07:42pm

Video plays from Gonzaga at AZ overtime (Video)

Shall we just put all of these plays here together for discussion?

Couple of charging calls, one against each team (the second was near 2:45 remaining) and the whistle by Deldre Carr on the 3pt attempt with 3.3 left.

ref3808 Sat Dec 06, 2014 08:00pm

Second the Requests

Especially the whistle that led to the three free throws in OT.

MechanicGuy Sun Dec 07, 2014 02:04am

The no-call on the final play in regulation.

They also missed a backcourt violation. Gonzaga deflected it away from AZ, towards half-court, but the AZ player retrieved the ball in the backcourt...touching the ball before it hit in the backcourt and before he stepped in the backcourt.

mutantducky Sun Dec 07, 2014 02:46am

I couldn't tell for certain on the three pointer. The one I really wanted to see again was at the end of regulation before the corner shot when time expired. I think Gonzaga had a shot and it appeared the offensive player rebounded the ball and got hit from behind causing the ball to go out of bounds. Looked like a two shot foul but I could be wrong. They didn't show the replay and the Zags missed the shot at the buzzer.

mutantducky Sun Dec 07, 2014 02:53am

Also, a question. In Ot Ashley missed a jumper. The defender appeared to put his hand on his stomach after the shot. Just an annoying thing some defenders do. Do you just let that go or call a foul. I've played in games when its been a rather hard push with one hand, kind of like a jab and can be more than an annoyance.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2014 03:39am

I should have also mentioned Deldre's illegal dribble call with about twenty seconds left.

AremRed Sun Dec 07, 2014 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 945907)
Also, a question. In Ot Ashley missed a jumper. The defender appeared to put his hand on his stomach after the shot. Just an annoying thing some defenders do. Do you just let that go or call a foul. I've played in games when its been a rather hard push with one hand, kind of like a jab and can be more than an annoyance.

No such thing as marginal contact on a shooter. I call it, and they knock it off.

RefCT Sun Dec 07, 2014 09:43am

Intentional

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 945912)
No such thing as marginal contact on a shooter. I call it, and they knock it off.

Going back to HS for a second, with the FED focus on calling more intentional fouls lately, it has been suggested by the CT Interpreters that this COULD be called an intentional foul since it could be considered excessive contact (4.19.3(d)). Not sure I would ever call that an IF just for putting their hand on them. Just pointing out it has been suggested.

AremRed Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 945917)
Going back to HS for a second, with the FED focus on calling more intentional fouls lately, it has been suggested by the CT Interpreters that this COULD be called an intentional foul since it could be considered excessive contact (4.19.3(d)). Not sure I would ever call that an IF just for putting their hand on them. Just pointing out it has been suggested.

I also COULD call any contact I deem to be excessive an Intentional foul, but I'm not gonna be working many places very long. Take a tip: call this contact a shooting foul.

JetMetFan Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:08pm

Video Added

Here are the plays...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945887)
Couple of charging calls, one against each team (the second was near 2:45 remaining)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pDPFOegsJnI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945887)
and the whistle by Deldre Carr on the 3pt attempt with 3.3 left.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LW1lm021WHg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945908)
Deldre's illegal dribble call with about twenty seconds left.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P-athriHEPc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 945903)
The no-call on the final play in regulation.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1YVNzePRbrs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 945903)
They also missed a backcourt violation. Gonzaga deflected it away from AZ, towards half-court, but the AZ player retrieved the ball in the backcourt...touching the ball before it hit in the backcourt and before he stepped in the backcourt.

Can't help you on this one without a time.

JRutledge Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:31pm

Video #1: First play is a charge. The player got LGP and got "set" right before the player went up. ;)

The second play was clearly a charge for the same basic reason.

Video #2: It is really hard to tell where the contact came from. It might have been on the upward arm motion and then the player raised his hands where at that time there was no contact.

Video #3: That is not a double dribble. The ball was batted away and then controlled. A dribble has to be a controlled act. It is a judgment call, but IMO it was not a dribble on the first bat of this play.

Video #4: This should have been a foul. I guess the only issue is if he had contacted the ball to make it a shooting foul. And as a philosophy I would have considered this a shooting foul for the most part.

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:40pm

Good charge calls. Defender got into the path, facing, with both feet down before the shooter left the floor in both.

Shooting foul, possible, hard to tell from video.

Double dribble. Looked like a controlled action on the first touch....making the 2nd action an illegal dribble.

Looked like a foul to me. White definitely displaced green having come from behind and green had a good chance of being able to catch and shoot that ball.

Welpe Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:45pm

I have PC on both of those but I think the second one is pretty close. Would anybody call the travel in the second PC play?

mutantducky Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:51pm

thanks for the vids.
good calls by the refs especially the charging call on the fast-break.
Three point call looks wrong but we can't tell from here, there may have been contact.
I thought it was a double dribble because the first contact looked liket it was controlled but that was a call I saw live and I thought refs would differ on it.

For me the main missed call was the rebounding one. I was watching the game and it seemed like the refs were looking at each other for someone to make the call. All three of them could have made the call but no one stepped up to do it. The game was very well-officiated but that was an obvious miss.

Gonzaga weird subbing and defensive lapses cost them the game that they probably should have won.

walt Tue Dec 09, 2014 01:18pm

PCs to me. Tough video but I don;t see a foul on the second one. I am ok with the double dribble (judgment as to whether first bat to the floor was the first dribble or did he just make contact with a passed ball). Last one, I have a foul not on the player from behind but on the guard for backing into the legs of the middle guy. Any way you look at it, the guy in the middle got fouled IMHO.