The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jay Bilas taught me (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98766-jay-bilas-taught-me.html)

The_Rookie Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:17pm

Jay Bilas taught me

Duke/Wisc. game..Jay Bilas just taught me something..75% of block charge bang bang calls are BLOCKS! who knew:confused:

zm1283 Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:25pm

I was going to post the same thing. He is just a complete buffoon with an agenda.

just another ref Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:30pm

With Mr. Bilas, his answers often provoke more questions. Is his assessment based on anything other than his personal observations? And is he saying this is what is being called or how these plays should be called?

Does anyone have any actual numbers on this? And whether the numbers are staying the same or trending in either direction?

SC Official Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:33pm

Jay Bilas has taught me not to listen to Jay Bilas.

He has also said before that officiating is easy and he thinks anyone that has played, coached, and/or read the rules is automatically qualified.

Adam Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 945527)
Jay Bilas has taught me not to listen to Jay Bilas.

He has also said before that officiating is easy and he thinks anyone that has played, coached, and/or read the rules is automatically qualified.

I'd say he might learn different if he officiates, but I doubt it. I've got a hunch he'd probably just call all of them blocks and be happy getting it 75% right.

Rich Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04am

He wants to remove player control fouls from the game.

I'm guessing the one against Gasser? Or the one on Nigel Hayes? Both of them looked like clear charges from the upper deck.

just another ref Thu Dec 04, 2014 01:06am

"The block/charge rule needs an overhaul."

What does that even mean?

justacoach Thu Dec 04, 2014 03:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 945534)
"The block/charge rule needs an overhaul."

What does that even mean?

Perhaps it should be written very slowly, with block letters and with no words longer than 2 syllables. More easily understandable for the likes of him.:)

Nevadaref Thu Dec 04, 2014 04:19am

Sadly, he is probably correct after the wording change to upward motion last year in college. The trend is to follow the NBA and reward the offense which results in more points being scored under the theory that such sells more tickets.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 04, 2014 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945552)
Sadly, he is probably correct after the wording change to upward motion last year in college.

The change was rescinded / reversed for this year.

zm1283 Thu Dec 04, 2014 09:14am

He thinks the NCAA should go back to the NBA version of this rule they used last year, and it will make block/charge calls much easier. I guess he wasn't paying any attention last year when the block/charge was an absolute mess. Officials got more of them wrong last year than any other year. He probably liked it though because even under the tougher rule (for the defense) clear charges were called blocks by default. He also says that secondary defenders shouldn't be able to draw charges. Only players defending on the ball with a non-airborne shooter.

His Twitter feed is a real treat. He thinks if you played and coached you're well versed on the rules.

so cal lurker Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 945565)
He also says that secondary defenders shouldn't be able to draw charges.

WTF?!? :eek: Maybe we should abolish defense altogether?

(from a dinosaur who thinks the NBA/NCAA restraining circle under the basket should be abolished (and the possession arrow while we're at it). . .)

Nevadaref Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 945562)
The change was rescinded / reversed for this year.

Thanks, didn't know how that discussion shook out. Due to some family situations, I took this year off from college ball.

BillyMac Thu Dec 04, 2014 04:54pm

Is This Allowed ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 945582)
... should be abolished (and the possession arrow while we're at it)

Why is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. posting under so cal lurker's name?

so cal lurker Thu Dec 04, 2014 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 945641)
Why is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. posting under so cal lurker's name?

Nah, he's a dinosaur who knows the rules; I'm a dinosaur who only knows enough to be dangerous. :cool:

(sadly, it had become apparent to me that as a curious lurker and interested dad who occaisonally coaches, I still know the rules better than *almost* all of the MS refs my son has . . . )