The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Georgetown vs Wisconsin Offensive BI? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98724-georgetown-vs-wisconsin-offensive-bi-video.html)

Nevadaref Thu Nov 27, 2014 06:46pm

Georgetown vs Wisconsin Offensive BI? (Video)

Possible offensive BI in the Wisconsin/Georgetown game today.
Wisconsin player trying to dunk late in the 2nd half has the ball strike the ring while he is pulling it down.
Just saw the highlight on SC. Will edit later with a clock time.

AremRed Thu Nov 27, 2014 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 944916)
Possible offensive BI in the Wisconsin/Georgetown game today.
Wisconsin player trying to dunk late in the 2nd half has the ball strike the ring while he is pulling it down.
Just saw the highlight on SC. Will edit later with a clock time.

I saw it, thought it was a good no-call. 3:35 in the 2nd half I believe.

APG Tue Dec 02, 2014 03:23am

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/kAViDKa2hBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bballref3966 Tue Dec 02, 2014 08:55am

No BI.

NCAA 4-17-2d: “A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.”

JRutledge Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22am

Good no call at any level if you ask me.

Peace

Lcubed48 Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrutledge (Post 945284)
good no call at any level if you ask me.

Peace

+1

Nevadaref Thu Dec 04, 2014 02:16am

Wow, I'm shocked that the respondents so far all think this action is legal.
That's clear offensive basket interference.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 04, 2014 02:46am

I see a dunk on the put back.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 04, 2014 03:23am

I think the rule cited above allows the player to be grabbing/touching the rim. However, it doesn't allow the rim to be pulled down when the ball bounces on it. It is still BI under that section of the rule.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 04, 2014 04:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 945550)
I think the rule cited above allows the player to be grabbing/touching the rim. However, it doesn't allow the rim to be pulled down when the ball bounces on it. It is still BI under that section of the rule.

I agree. Here's the text of the NCAA rule:
Section 5. Basket Interference
Art. 1. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring.
Art. 2. Basket interference occurs when a player:
a. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the
basket;
b. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;
c. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder; or
d. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.
Art. 3. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, in such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.

Sharpshooternes Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:15pm

After further review, the ruling on the field is overruled. BI