The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goal tending? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98713-goal-tending.html)

potato Wed Nov 26, 2014 01:59am

Goal tending?

Say if a shot is up but the ball lingers around the rim, it looks like it's going in but haven't, a defender then decides to jump up and blow the ball which affects the movement of the ball and end up not going in, does it count as goal tending? I know it requires strong blow but sometimes it does affect the ball movement esp when it's hanging on the rim.

APG Wed Nov 26, 2014 02:05am

Blow as in air through lips?

I'm going to go ahead and say in the history of mankind, no person has ever had an appreciably effect on the flight of the ball by using such tactics.

And no, it wouldn't count as goaltending. Goaltending requires touching the ball.

Freddy Wed Nov 26, 2014 03:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 944771)
Say if a shot is up but the ball lingers around the rim, it looks like it's going in but haven't, a defender then decides to jump up and blow the ball which affects the movement of the ball and end up not going in, does it count as goal tending? I know it requires strong blow but sometimes it does affect the ball movement esp when it's hanging on the rim.

Though confused by your choice of verbs, I'd recommend a thorough review of the actual definitions of both goaltending and basket interference. That will yield several benefits: use of rulebook terminology when describing a play, distinction between the two violations, and the answer to your question. After that, resubmit your question, which I think might be a good one, add the answer you come up with, and see if you don't get some constructive feedback on the situation.
Just my recommendation. Others may know what you're talking about.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 26, 2014 08:55am

No one who would try this is capable of jumping so high that his / her lips get 10' off the ground.

Raymond Wed Nov 26, 2014 09:32am

Again, I have to ask where you live, and what plants are you are legally allowed to smoke in that state.

JRutledge Wed Nov 26, 2014 09:37am

"Pass the dutchie upon the left hand side."

Peace

Freddy Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 944805)
"Pass the dutchie . . ."

I sure am intrigued by the increase of vocabulary I gain from this forum. This term you mention here, is that like the hair style that looks like goose poop?

AremRed Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 944804)
Again, I have to ask where you live, and what plants are you are legally allowed to smoke in that state.

I'm pretty sure he hails from Amsterdam. :o

Welpe Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 944806)
I sure am intrigued by the increase of vocabulary I gain from this forum. This term you mention here, is that like the hair style that looks like goose poop?

Pass the Dutchie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raymond Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 944809)
I'm pretty sure he hails from Amsterdam. :o

Well, I actually hail from Amsterdam myself, so that would be very ironic. :cool:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 944804)

I would also like to add that: "If you can remember the 1960's you were not there."

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Wed Nov 26, 2014 06:15pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 944812)

Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie (HQ Video) - YouTube

BillyMac Wed Nov 26, 2014 06:18pm

Wrong Sport ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JLroDoPFdWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Wed Nov 26, 2014 06:19pm

Misunderstood ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 944780)
I'd recommend a thorough review of the actual definitions of both goaltending and basket interference.

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and is not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

SAK Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 944771)

I'm just wondering how is it that "the ball lingers around the rim"? Has he been hanging out with a bad group of kids and is standing in front of the no loitering sign?